Thread: Can anyone help me identify this DeVere 8x10 enlarger?

Can anyone help me identify this DeVere 8x10 enlarger?

Enlarger appears to be a predecessor to the 5108. It uses a pair of tape measures for bellows and height measurements rather than a printed scale on the column. Uses a 108 Dichromat 2000W head. Colors look very 1970s, I have no idea the age or model and would appreciate help.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DV-1.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	228030Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DV-2.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	228031Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DV-8.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	228032

Re: Can anyone help me identify this DeVere 8x10 enlarger?

I have this enlarger, serial No. 2222 from 1986. The color head of my enlarger looks a little different, but the frame is definitely the same. Mine has servos for controlling the head and lensboard. I had 8x250W halogen bulbs exchanged for 8x30W cob-LEDs.
    Henry Valtonen, Helsinki
    -----------------------
    8x10" landscapes

It's a 108S (or 108AF) - predecessor of the Vulcan/ Apollo machines. 10x10, not 8x10 - and not a variant of a 5108, it's meant for mapping/ aerial markets and the like. Extremely serious bit of kit - makes most Dursts look rather toy-like. The baseboard will handle up to 40x60" from recall.

Odyssey Sales (De Vere's successor) will probably be able to help with queries - and KHB might also still have some parts (if you need them). Overall, most of the electrics on De Veres are pretty robust and standard industrial parts - and the mechanical parts are remarkably resilient, but as ever, ageing electronics can be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by L&Scape View Post
    I have this enlarger, serial No. 2222 from 1986. The color head of my enlarger looks a little different, but the frame is definitely the same. Mine has servos for controlling the head and lensboard. I had 8x250W halogen bulbs exchanged for 8x30W cob-LEDs.
    Can you post a link to the LED’s?

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Can you post a link to the LED’s?
    Here are photos from my LED onversion. These photos are from the left side assembly: I let make a frame of 5mm aluminium, the cob-LED's were mounted on the other side and a standard heat sink on the back side. This construction was then mirrored to the right side. Originally I used 36V / 30W round cob-LEDs, but they did not last long. They were changed to 220V / 30W square cob-LEDs which have worked for many years now. People at deVere warned for the exchange as the light spectrum of LED is different from halogen lamps. I have succesfully used VC paper, but have not yet tested with RA-4 paper. Anyway, the head now consumes only 240W instead of 2000W previously. I no longer have the blower in use.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deVere-1.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	229733Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deVere-2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	229734Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deVere-4.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	229735Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deVere-5.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	229736

COB LED's are like this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...39570416%21sea
    Henry Valtonen, Helsinki
    -----------------------
    8x10" landscapes

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Gomena View Post
    Enlarger appears to be a predecessor to the 5108. It uses a pair of tape measures for bellows and height measurements rather than a printed scale on the column. Uses a 108 Dichromat 2000W head. Colors look very 1970s, I have no idea the age or model and would appreciate help.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DV-1.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	228030Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DV-2.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	228031Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DV-8.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	228032
    Hello Peter,
    I have the same 10x10 color head; however, mine is attached to a Fotar Enlarger. Just got the electrician recently to install 240v. Hopefully you have all the electronics required. Unfortunately, I am missing the blower. So, I'm going to bug Henry for additional LED info.
    Let me know if I can help with anything.
    Shane Knight

Hello Henry,
    Thanks for sharing the additional information.
    Can I ask for a couple of more details?
    1. What color temp are you using? They offer warm and cool white. I assume the cool white?
    2. Are your heatsinks passive or active? Do you have a link to them? Do you have 1 or 2 on each side? (Sorry but my phone will not let me zoom on your photos).
    3. The link to the COBs are driverless. Are these wired into a separate timer or are you still using the DeVere timer? Just trying to figure out how to wire it all.
    Thanks in advance!
    Shane Knight

Also, were there any noticable changes in exposure or contrast?
    Thanks