Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tick Season = Lyme Disease risk

Drew Wiley

Re: Tick Season = Lyme Disease risk

The problem with "bottle openers" or mini-pliers, or strong tweezers, is that you need to be careful to not pull apart the tick and leave its head behind, still inside to infect. Some people first try to get a swollen tick to back out by burning its butt with a just-extinguished wooden match, or by applying a noxious solvent, but that has never worked reliably for me, so I've primarily used the tweezer method close to the tick's head to make sure that comes out too. I have a lot of experience with that, mostly in relation to hound dogs getting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Robinson View Post
    I was wondering the same thing as this thread has me looking to see if there is a method for being able to quickly remove a tick. A local store has a device like this that is suppose to be able to remove a tick. As we are heading to the mountains for some camping I was wondering if anybody had any comments on this type of removal tool and is it effective.
    https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...key?item=AB714
    Here's a tool that has a similar thing at one end and very thin tweezers for grabbing the tick's head at the other.
    https://www.chewy.com/tickease-tick-...caAodBEALw_wcB

One end for pets and the other end for people.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ron View Post
    permithrin is the way to go. you can buy it in 10% concentrate and impregnate clothes yourself using a 1.5oz to 1quart diliution. i put an entire outfit in a garbage bag and pour in the solution to saturate everything. hang it out to dry n that treatment is good for 42 days or 6 washes, whichever comes first.

my outfit is a very thin material pants n shirt that i wear over my clothes when in the woods bushwhacking or not n places i suspect ill be bitten by those vampires. btw permethrin also takes care of those black flys too... another blood sucking pest thats just very visious n anoying. their bites dont heal fast n itch like crazy! thats why im a winter backpacker/ camper. i hate bugggggzzzzzzzz

if you think youve been bitten or have been bitten, try to save the tic for analysis, the doc will put you on antibiotics. but be sure to see the doc asap!... dont wait!
    Insect Shield will treat your own untreated clothes one piece at a time or a whole laundry bag at one time. There's a 15% discount available now. The advantage is the treatment is good for 70 washings which is about the life of the grament.
    https://www.insectshield.com/pages/i...d-your-clothes

when I was young in Pennsylvania, we removed ticks by lighting a match, blowing out the fire then quickly touching the head of the match to the tick before it cooled. They would back right out.

Now I live in New Mexico which has a very low incidence of Lyme disease. ~15 years ago, my brother must have got bit by a tick (no reccolection of it) right before he moved out here. He started getting symptoms, and becuase Lyme is very uncommon out here, he went through 4 doctors before one thought it might be lyme disease.