Thread: Leica Tripod white paper

Leica Tripod white paper

Happened across this Leica Geosystems white paper on tripods.
    https://leica-geosystems.com/-/media...3818BE27E2241C

While this is specific to Leica surveyor tripods, there is Foto tripod relevant information. Bottom line, wood remains a very good material for tripods, aluminum not so much, but ok. There is a need and interest to desier a lower weight tripod (carbon fiber and such), as with too many items in life weigh and all related remains a trade-off.

Bernice

Drew Wiley

Re: Leica Tripod white paper

It's doubtful that Leica themselves actually made any of those. Their "top of the line" US-made model is exactly the same as I had private-labeled in quantity for our company. Fiberglass-clad poplar wood. Nice and stable, and easily converted to view camera use with just a top turnbolt replacement from 5/8-11 to 3/8-16, but none of the deluxe non-ferrous hardware like a Ries. And the ONLY thing Leica branding adds to the equation is an extra 300% markup over the average US-branded pricing! I wonder what they'd ask for a collector edition with the legs wrapped in genuine alligator hide.

Their survey lasers and distance meters still look very familiar to me, and were made by Trimble, though who knows who owns what anymore. Perhaps Spectra is the parent company now. Dunno. Predator becomes prey, and visa versa. Nothing exceptional in that category; that too is marketed under various brand labels. Can't comment on the other equip categories. The more techie it looks, the more probable it was in fact designed in Silicon Valley itself. I got in the game quite early, when a lot of bugs still had to be worked out. The last sample I ever had in my hands was one of the laser units used to align the new locks to the Panama Canal, which were corrected even for the curvature of the earth. But none of my own customers were interested in dropping 45K for a survey laser. At that price, the alligator-skin tripod should come free.

yeppers Drew, none of the "Leica" tripods are made by Leica, they are re-branded with the Leica name. Note the country of manufacture for their Leica tripods.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leica tripods.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	227931

Suspect if one were to do some digging, these Leica tripods could be found under a different brand name.

~Regardless, the reality of proper quality and choice wood being a persistent top draw material for tripods remains. The other optical item where wood tripods are highly favored are serious telescopes..~

Still of the opinion that a reasonable surveyors tripod is an excellent choice for a view camera. They do not have the Foto status symbol or inflated price like Gitzo,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gitzo 100 anav tripod.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	227932

they DO simply do meet the need and perform the task of camera support with proper vibration control and stability.

Bernice

Drew Wiley

Some of the practical differences are that clad wood survey tripods are rather heavy, and they do not compact down anywhere near as much as photo tripods. They do often come with generous platform tops, desirable for mounting flatbed view cameras, and can save a person a lot of money. But there are also a tremendous number of cheap knockoff import survey tripods for sale, both clad and aluminum, which are nearly worthless; things slip or break quite quickly. Buyer beware. Note country of origin; and if it's sold in a big box store and breaks the next day, well, don't expect a sympathy card from me ...

Foamer

I'm staying with my Ries.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Drew Wiley

I now have two Ries tripods for general use - large and medium wt - plus two equivalent CF tripods for lighter backpacking or old age usage if necessary. I gave my survey-style wooden tripod to a co-worker for his amateur astro telescope fun stuff. But sometimes I wish I still had it as something I wouldn't have to fret about if it got stolen from my truck.