Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off on a solo 3-nite hike.

Off on a solo 3-nite hike.

Just got to load the 4x5 holders and I'll head to bed. I'll have a not too early start...I'll finish packing and leave the house by noon. Get to the trailhead and have lunch by 2pm. Hit the trail and hike (in a slow relaxed manner) most of remaining daylight to where I'll spend three nights...hang out and photograph.

Some recent rain to clean things up and make the creek crossings a little more interesting...but should all be mellow.

I am taking a dozen holders loaded with Kodak Professional Copy Film (4125) and play with that along the creek and under the redwoods. Decided to go light and not take the 5x7. Even got fancy freeze-dried dinners. Got new Teva sandals, and also got a new-to-me backpack (lightly used by my brother), so I'll see how it works out...I want to test it before a longer hike in early July.

Photo from my last trip -- I'd better get busy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RedCr1.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Re: Off on a solo 3-nite hike.

Happy image hunting!

I prefer solo

anywhere

I meet more critters
    Tin Can

Taking your Gowland Pocket View? I'll be pressing mine into lots of service again in the upcoming months. Even though my 5x7 DIY plywood camera is almost as light, the rest of the 5x7 gear still weighs me down noticeably more in total...and its truly getting to the point, when regarding hiking any distance with gear (especially when overnight stuff is included) - that weight is absolutely everything!

At any rate...have a great hike!

Enjoy the solitude Vaughn! My feet would go on strike if hiking in sandals. Looking forward to the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    Enjoy the solitude Vaughn! My feet would go on strike if hiking in sandals. Looking forward to the photos.
    We once ran into some backpackers heading down from a very steep pass in the Olympic mountains, about 5000 feet of elevation loss- pretty much the biggest elevation drop on a trail I've ever encountered. One of the hikers was doing it in bare feet- he said he preferred to use the natural "micro-sensors" of his feet during descents. To each their own I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    We once ran into some backpackers heading down from a very steep pass in the Olympic mountains, about 5000 feet of elevation loss- pretty much the biggest elevation drop on a trail I've ever encountered. One of the hikers was doing it in bare feet- he said he preferred to use the natural "micro-sensors" of his feet during descents. To each their own I guess...
    My feet have gotten tender as I age. I remember as a kid running around barefoot on gravel roads and on asphalt roads in the summer without even noticing any discomfort. I wince at the thought today.

Safe Journeys Vaughn.

Bernice

Drew Wiley

Well, bare feet were standard for the Indians who routinely crossed the high rocky passes for millennia before engineered trails. Even deerskin moccasins wouldn't have lasted fifteen minutes on some of that terrain. As a child, I had to run about a mile to the tiny store either on asphalt, during air temps often above 110F, with shade trees far and few in between, or else through thorny weeds on the hillside. I'd buy an ice cream bar from their little refrigerator, and hope it didn't outright melt before I finished eating it; it seldom did.

But I'm having a bit of difficulty comprehending what Vaughn means by a "solo trip". Did he actually plan to go by himself, or was that just a default because nobody else could stand his karaoke "solo". ... "Home, home, on the ranger station, where the deer and the cantaloupe play"... (well, that's how I thought the words went when I was little)....

enjoy the stroll... i hike like im going to the electric chair. I enjoy seeing everything along the trail instead of looking down at my shoes.

Drew...I cannot believe I am saying this - but doing karaoke (likely just once) is actually on my bucket list! (but deer...playing with cantaloupe )