Thread: curious how fast your scan times are with Epson 700 or similar

curious how fast your scan times are with Epson 700 or similar

Hi guys,
    I know it "depends" but I've had my scanner for a while, and I usually have older PC's (hand-me-downs from work). I thought maybe the scanner is what is slow, but now thinking the computer should make it faster. According to the Epson site, 2400 DPI on 35mm negs should take under a minute.

When I do 16bit, negative holder, 2400 dpi settings, each 35mm image scan takes a long time, like 15 minutes. But it's pretty quick with 300DPI. A 4800DPI scan said 45 minutes.

Time for new computer? It doesn't way what hardware they used to make that claim on the Epson website.
    --

Re: curious how fast your scan times are with Epson 700 or similar

Is the scanner actively scanning the whole 15 minutes? It might be tricky to tell in Epson Scan if this is actual scan time or postprocess time. Vuescan makes it much more obvious as the scan will happen and then you will see it pause and process (CPU likely goes to 100% usage etc). If postprocess time is your bottleneck then yes a new computer might be in order.

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    Is the scanner actively scanning the whole 15 minutes? It might be tricky to tell in Epson Scan if this is actual scan time or postprocess time. Vuescan makes it much more obvious as the scan will happen and then you will see it pause and process (CPU likely goes to 100% usage etc). If postprocess time is your bottleneck then yes a new computer might be in order.

I do Preview, and all the 35mm image come up, for example a roll of 24.
    Then I do a "scan" and it'll say 1/24 (one of 24) and that 1 will have a blue progress bar. if I set it to 300dpi, it can do each 35mm image, in a minute or 2, if I set it to 2400, it'll take 15 minutes progress bar.

I do have vuescan but it doesn't automate a whole roll of 35mm. And I haven't used it in a long time. I think I only use it for 4x5 and 8x10, can't remember how long it takes to scan those. Been a while
    --

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post

I do Preview, and all the 35mm image come up, for example a roll of 24.
    Then I do a "scan" and it'll say 1/24 (one of 24) and that 1 will have a blue progress bar. if I set it to 300dpi, it can do each 35mm image, in a minute or 2, if I set it to 2400, it'll take 15 minutes progress bar.

I do have vuescan but it doesn't automate a whole roll of 35mm. And I haven't used it in a long time. I think I only use it for 4x5 and 8x10, can't remember how long it takes to scan those. Been a while
    --

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    Hi guys,
    I know it "depends" but I've had my scanner for a while, and I usually have older PC's (hand-me-downs from work). I thought maybe the scanner is what is slow, but now thinking the computer should make it faster. According to the Epson site, 2400 DPI on 35mm negs should take under a minute.

When I do 16bit, negative holder, 2400 dpi settings, each 35mm image scan takes a long time, like 15 minutes. But it's pretty quick with 300DPI. A 4800DPI scan said 45 minutes.

Time for new computer? It doesn't way what hardware they used to make that claim on the Epson website.
    Under a minute is about right. Double that if you use ICE to eliminate dust and hairs.

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    Hi guys,

Under a minute is about right. Double that if you use ICE to eliminate dust and hairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    That's what I saw on the website. But for 2800, it takes a very long time. No ICE.
    --