Thread: replacement for Moersch Finisher Blue?

replacement for Moersch Finisher Blue?

Hello, I've been using ilford warmtone paper with Moersch SE6 Developer, (a combo I think I saw someone tip on here). I've been mixing the SE6 1:12 and adding a little bit of that suggested Finisher Blue. Yesterday I forgot to add it and then when I did, I could see a fairly dramatic cooler shifting on the next print that went through.

Freesyle is out of stock of the finisher, and I see elsewhere someone said this was the same or very similar to PMT or other anti fog agents, (I think I've used Benzotriazole in the past, but that was just to try and save some fogged paper, not to change the tone) I don't want to stop printing until Freestyle gets the Finisher back in stock and it doesn't seem to be available in the states anyplace else. Can anyone suggest something that Freestyle carries that would do do the same thing?? Does Benzotriazole? Don't have time to wait for shipping from Photographers Formulary - I figured perhaps living in the second largest city in the US there might be a place I could score it locally.

Re: replacement for Moersch Finisher Blue?

Chester,

It’s PMT (the primary active ingredient in finisher blue) you need, unfortunately. Benzotriazole doesn’t normally do much of anything to cool the image colour of contemporary papers. I say “unfortunately” because PMT is no longer sold by formulary as far as I know and that was the easiest/cheapest/most convenient way to get it.

Okay Thank you Michael, much appreciated.

*side note, realized today that not being super consistent w amount of finisher being added probably not good when doing flashing/ pre-exposure

Yes flashing can be tricky when using developer additives, especially finisher blue since PMT is a powerful restrainer that can affect paper speed depending on the quantity used.

Quote Originally Posted by Chester McCheeserton View Post
    Okay Thank you Michael, much appreciated.

*side note, realized today that not being super consistent w amount of finisher being added probably not good when doing flashing/ pre-exposure