Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nikkor-SW 75mm f / 4.5 on Chamonix 45F2

Re: Nikkor-SW 75mm f / 4.5 on Chamonix 45F2

I had a 75 once on my Linhof Technica and used it for architecture. The lens is a lot wider than the 90 in the sense of oblique perspective lines. Given the the fact that I used it on a Technica, the space for movements was quite restricted for what this lens needs if you want it reasonably corrected for too dramatic perspective lines. I expect the same to happen on my Chamonix 45f2, so I don’t go wider than 90. It’s a lot of fidgetting

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    If the 90mm Super Angulon is in proper optical condition with a good shutter, it should be about identical to resolution with the 75mm sw nikkor at f16 to f45.

What is likely most different is contrast, Nikkor view camera lenses are know for their higher contrast. Higher contrast is not better or worst, it is nothing more than an aspect of lens personality.

Schneider made the Super Angulon for decades beginning with modest coatings to the last versions which were multi coated and have different contrast rendition than earlier versions... which version of Super Angulon are we dealing with_?_

Nikkor view camera lenses were multi-coated from the initial offerings. Nikkor and Fujinon view camera lenses were never very popular with working photographers back then as Rodenstock and Schneider were the highly preferred brands. In actual creative-expressive image making any of the big four Fujinon, Rodenstock, Nikkor, Schneider are easily more than capable of producing excellent images.. essentially interchangeable in every way... once the print making process comes into play.

Nikkor gained popularity with view camera folks in recent times due to familiarity with the Nikon brand known to 35mm and digital camera users.

Fujinon gained popularity due to web search and that now famed "lens test" that appears so very often.

From a focal length perspective, IMO the 90mm is most often used wide angle on 4x5, 75mm is "wider" and also useful depending on the image making needs. Camera will likely be the limiting factor to use the full image circle capability of the 75mm and possibly the 90mm. Once the field folder camera and standard bellows has been compressed down enough to focus the 75mm or 90mm, camera movements will be limited. Solution is to use a bag bellows. This holds true for the majority of view cameras. One problem that can happen with field folders using really wide angle lenses with camera movement, the front bed of the camera can come into the image. This is why some field folders have a drop bed to solve this problem.

As for using recessed lens boards with wide angle lenses to aid in compressing the camera and bellows enough to achieve focus, they are a hassle. Having to deal with this on the Linhof Technikardan 23s with the 47mm or 38mm on recessed lens boards this size, do-able hassle to access shutter controls and flash sync (right angle PC connectors were done as an option).

Bernice
    Thank you very much @bernice loui for the precious information, the super angulon that I have pinned has a sn 13.972.054 it seems to me in good condition, as regards the contrast I like to create it with development and printing, I would not want to increase it too much in the shooting phase, now that you tell me this I have to compare the shots taken with the Nikkor 210 and see how it behaves ...., this Super Angulon would also have the recessed lensboard and the system to hook the flexible shutter

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Max,
    The first thing to do is figure out why you are having trouble with the 90mm you have. Do you want to replace it because you are having trouble? You might have the same trouble with a replacement lens.
    No nom I have big problems, I struggle a little in the MAF being f8 especially at the edges, then I was excited by the idea of increasing the field of view in some of my shots, that's all ... But I wanted to make a "safe" purchase

Quote Originally Posted by maxpina View Post
    No nom I have big problems, I struggle a little in the MAF being f8 especially at the edges, then I was excited by the idea of increasing the field of view in some of my shots, that's all ... But I wanted to make a "safe" purchase
    A couple of things:

First, seeing into the corners with shorter focal-length lenses and a regular skirted loupe is always a pain. My solution has been to remove the skirt or simply turn the loupe around so that the skirt is facing my eye, then hold the thing at the proper angle and move my head back and forth to find the right focus. Once you get the hang of it, you'll find yourself doing this a lot to check corners. I now use magnifiers without any skirt; I find them a lot more flexible.

Second, yes, a lens with a maximum aperture of f/8 or f/9 is going to be a bit dimmer than the f/5.6 Plasmats, but it's only one stop - nothing a good dark cloth and a bit of patience can't remedy. For me, it's a small trade-off for not having to carry around one of the monster f/5.6 or f/4.5 90mm lenses that are twice as heavy and bulky as the f/8 versions and need larger, more-expensive filters.

I have both 90mm and 75mm lenses and find I use the 90mm much more. The 75mm only has limited coverage and doesn't allow much in the way of movements.

Best,

Doremus

I got a fresnel screen for my ground glass specifically to brighten it up so I could use my 90mm f/9 Super Angulon more easily.

Carpenter

I’ll add that as the focal lengths get shorter the movements become increasingly small to accomplish any of the Scheimfluge principles. Given, at 75mm you may just use the hyper focal point and stop down to gain the depth of field you desire. But if you intend to use movements like swing and tilt, you’ll likely be fighting the camera detents (or imprecise locking mechanisms) for that small degree of adjustment that you need. Not impossible at all, but just an inherent feature of using short focal lengths with field cameras. I love the Chamonix cameras, but like other field cameras, precise movements with short lenses are not one of their strong suites.

Quote Originally Posted by speedfreak View Post
    I’ll add that as the focal lengths get shorter the movements become increasingly small to accomplish any of the Scheimfluge principles. Given, at 75mm you may just use the hyper focal point and stop down to gain the depth of field you desire. But if you intend to use movements like swing and tilt, you’ll likely be fighting the camera detents (or imprecise locking mechanisms) for that small degree of adjustment that you need. Not impossible at all, but just an inherent feature of using short focal lengths with field cameras. I love the Chamonix cameras, but like other field cameras, precise movements with short lenses are not one of their strong suites.
    Keep in mind that the wider the lens gets the less need for lens movements. Longer lenses need more movement to "make a difference".

Or why lens choice drives camera choice. If a short focal length (wide angle) lens is needed with significant camera movements, a light weight field folder is not a good choice due to their innate limitations. To get the absolute most from a short focal length lens creating an image that demands LOTs of camera movement means a camera with bag bellows and precise-accurate camera movements as short focal length lenses typically need minor small amounts of tilt-swing, exceptions are rise-fall, shift which can be significant.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by speedfreak View Post

Most has been said. 75mm and shorter works well on a 45n. I usually carry 47mm,75mm,135mm on the wider side of things. I never used my 90mm so I don't have one anymore.
    Will Wilson
    www.willwilson.com