Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question: About R H Phillips

Drew Wiley

Re: Question: About R H Phillips

I once spoke to him about 5X7, since that was the biggest enlarger I had when I first purchased his 8x10 camera; and and he suggested adapting a Cambo 5x7 back, which would in fact be fairly easy to do in any reasonably equipped shop like mine. But so was an 8x10 conversion to one of my enlargers. So I never took the 5x7 format route.

Incidentally, my early Phillips 8x10 is still functioning superbly after all these years of hard outdoor use. The penetrating epoxy which seals the originally blonde custom plywood has yellowed a lot; but that's not an issue as long as the camera is kept out of sunlight when not in actual use. Those kinds of epoxy sealants do crack and fail within a few years under constant daily sunlight, like on a front door or boat deck for example, unless painted over. It's a category of coating I have decades worth of experience with.

That's interesting. Thanks

I don't know if Phillips ever made one, but I know that Chamonix are based on the Phillips design and they make both a 5x7 and 4x5 camera.

Zebra

I own one of the 7 x 17’s. It is an amazing camera and I absolutely love working with it. Happy for Dick that he moved in to his own pursuits but it was quite a loss to our community when he stopped producing all of his wonderful cameras.

Monty

Drew Wiley

As noted earlier, I've owned and used a Phillips 8x10 from nearly as long as they've existed; but have also had opportunity to handle a Chamonix 8x10. The latter is a worthy substitute. I wouldn't hesitate to buy their 5x7, though if price were no object, I'd try to land an Ebony instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    if price were no object, I'd try to land an Ebony instead.
    It's interesting to read other forum member's opinions of the different brands of (similar?) field views. I've had and used an Ebony, Phillips, and presently a Chamonix 8x10. The Ebony I liked a little bit over the Phillips. The Ebony reminded me of an 8x10 Deardorff that I once owned but had to sell, but I can't give you an exact reason to support that. Presently use a Chamonix and I would rate it just the tiniest bit over the Ebony. Truth is that I would be more than happy if I had to use just anyone of the aforementioned 8x10s.