Any Lenses for 14 X 36"?

Wondering what is useful for this format

I know Pinhole will be my first lens

My Suitcase Box is coming along, it will be used first for Pinhole

Later I will add a Bellows nose cone

Giving at least 60" extension
    Tin Can

Re: Any Lenses for 14 X 36"?

The normal focal length for the format is ~980 mm. 1000 mm elephotos and lenses for aerial cameras don't cover that much.

Process lenses of that focal length typically cover <= 46 degrees. A 1200 -- they're around, not very common -- would probably do.

Wide angles? One of the longer f/14 Ser. VIa Perigraphes might do. Unobtaniun.

Thanks Dan!

I have a CARL ZEISS JENA 90CM F9 APO TESSAR, shot it only with 11X14 in Deardorff Studio camera in studio, it needed all 75" of extension at 6 ft target

I also have the 790 mm Reinhart meniscus lens, http://www.re-inventedphotoequip.com/Formats.html

As for not covering the long way, that is fine, as I like dark corners, I can always cut the 14X36" film AFTER processing

but want to preserve all options

including pinhole

Divide to stereo?
    Tin Can

I also recently bought 500mm meniscus, never shot.....yet

Testing this weekend with 14X17" below is the falloff

http://www.re-inventedphotoequip.com...20Fall-off.pdf
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Process lenses of that focal length typically cover <= 46 degrees. A 1200 -- they're around, not very common -- would probably do. .
    If you've won the lottery.

I never play the Lotto

Nor gamble

no games either

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    If you've won the lottery.
    Tin Can

I like supplementary lenses too, and not just because I can afford them. But since you are not a gambler, a pin-hole or a very long meniscus are your only options. Minolta made a very nice 0.37 -- 2700mm -- but at 72mm it's bound to be dark (f38). But hey, it's faster than a pinhole -- and affordable, if you can find one!

I like the idea of cutting the film in half and making ~13" diameter circular images...perhaps using lenses with a little more coverage and using a mask to create the circle (reducing image quality dropping off too much on the edge of the circle).

Edited to add: Reading your posts again, creating stereo images from two 14" diameter circles would be fun. A lot of front shift would be handy if the lens had the coverage, allowing one to take the two images one after the other by keeping the camera still and just shifting the lens from one extreme to the other.
    Last edited by Vaughn; 27-May-2022 at 17:34.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

BIG APO process lenses were moderately common and low cost during the years and time when BIG process cameras were being scrapped. later 1990's was given an entire set of Goerz APO artar process lenses by a shop that did process camera work or Lockheed Aerospace back in the day. They made Semiconductor mask, PCB films and more from graphic films that were up to 10 feet x 8 feet in size then reduce down to the size needed to produce these devices. That set of lenses included a 47 1/2" APO artar which would cover 14"x36" at infinity as it was used to do reductions from those 10' x 8' film reductions. It was during this era when LOTs of these BIG APO process lenses would appear on eBay for not a lot a $..

Then ULF gained popularity rapidly driving up the $ of these BIG APO process lenses. Same happened with Ilex# 5 shutters as many of these BIG APO process lenses got re-mounted into a #5 shutter. These lenses today command LOTS of $...

Schneider was aware of the ULF trend and offered their "XXL fine art" series of lenses..
    https://www.badgergraphic.com/index....egory&path=332

Having owned and used these BIG APO process lenses in the past, they are significant effort to use and IMO of limited creative image making offerings as 35mm or digital does FAR better at really long tele images.

Bernice

I've had my eye on this one for a while. It would complete my collection of Apo Ronars. I own this era of lenses up to the 790mm F14, paid very little. 1070mm would complete and do it for me. But the cost..... https://www.ebay.com/itm/37240383001...53.m1438.l2649

When I was really young I worked at a local color separation house. The MONSTER process cameras were gathering dust in the the back of the plant, and they had one that was as big as a small house. Perhaps it was used for blowing down IC designs, that makes sense. Always wondered what they were used for?? Making Billboards?? LOL

BTW this lens is only about 3X or so magnification on 8x10 it's not going to have a lot of telephoto pulling power when used with that format.
    So for more pull you would have to reduce the back size to 5x7 or 4x5.
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 27-May-2022 at 14:57.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain