Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: LIttman Camera, still being sold ?

  1. #1
    multi format
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    local
    Posts
    4,406

    LIttman Camera, still being sold ?

    Hi i figure since it is about the king of caps, i'd ask in all caps
    i was wondering if the littman 4x5 single is still being sold ? I went to some website
    that was advertising them and has a little bio about the maker
    and it looked too good to be true $175, maybe it's a rental?!?!
    I went to the website that used to be the website and i have never seen my computer light up like a christmas tree and tell me
    not to go. But it said the site was a raft of spyware and who knows what else. It's a good thing
    i was wearing nitrile gloves when i typed in the address!

    Anyways. Is it still being made, i think i read

    j( SORRY ALL THE CAPS VANISHED ITS JUST NORMAL STUFF NO FUN )

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,802

    Re: LIttman Camera, still being sold ?

    I doubt seriously if it is still being made. I remember them from many years, maybe 40-50, ago.

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    8,253

    Re: LIttman Camera, still being sold ?

    IIRC he was especially active maybe 15-25 years ago.

    His old website, www.littman45single.com, is now apparently occupied by malware squatters. You can still look at it in the Wayback Machine, but it goes dead sometime after 2011 or so. I think he has had a page on Facebook since then, but I can't verify that as I'm not registered there and Facebook requires a login for me to look at it. He has occasionally turned up on eBay offering individual cameras, though I haven't seen any from him in a while.

  4. #4
    multi format
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    local
    Posts
    4,406

    Re: LIttman Camera, still being sold ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I doubt seriously if it is still being made. I remember them from many years, maybe 40-50, ago.
    hi Jim. im not talking specifically about the olde polaroid swinger cameras I'm talking about the 1999-200x graflock back conversions mr G LIttman did .. ... he was an interesting character

    Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    IIRC he was especially active maybe 15-25 years ago.

    His old website, www.littman45single.com, is now apparently occupied by malware squatters. You can still look at it in the Wayback Machine, but it goes dead sometime after 2011 or so. I think he has had a page on Facebook since then, but I can't verify that as I'm not registered there and Facebook requires a login for me to look at it. He has occasionally turned up on eBay offering individual cameras, though I haven't seen any from him in a while.
    thanks oren
    I found his old website and the malware stuff yesterday just before I made my post ( I didn't go on the WB machine though ) .. seems kind of strange .. cause it was like only yesterday he was here and photo.net doing his thing - drumming up business, yelling at people, threatening law suits because he said he owned the patents to the camera and its rangefinder or something, and selling his diamond and jewel encrusted cameras on eBay for 100G each to people like BBradd PPitt . hard to believe that was 10 years ago? I saw his Facebook post ( like you, I don't have an account so I could just gawk ) and the link to the rental site with his bio. I wasn't sure it was real or not because it wasn't in ALL CAPS ...

  5. #5
    Drew Bedo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    3,052

    Re: LIttman Camera, still being sold ?

    I have seen "pre-Owned" Littman cameras come up on e-Bay from time to time. Conversions by other makers are available there too.

    There is a nine-year long train of threads on this forum devoted to the back-and-forth drama surrounding the conversion of Polaroid 110 series cameras to 4x5. It dates back to the first decade of this century; the 2K years. I doubt that Littman is active in photography at all anymore.

    But that was a long time ago as has been pointed out. I came to realize that if it was a really good idea to covert these old Polaroids to 4x5, it would have been done on a commercial scale. Additionally, if there was a genuine niche in LF photography for a hand-held rangefinder coupled 4x5, then a major outfit would have designed one from the ground up.

    No one revived the press camera genre or scaled that concept down to a handy grab-shot concept.. No one put together a scaled-up 4x5 based on the Bessa-II or any of the other fold-out medium format pocket cameras of the 1930-1950 era. There are reasons for that.

    Before and after the Polaroid conversion movement, there were other , less elaborate approaches to hand-held LF. The Hobo design is one, the TravelWide and WillTravel were the latest. Don't see many of these hand-held LF rigs around. I'm sure that there folks who swear by theirs. I respect them and their way of doing photography. . . .its just a real small corner.

    I think Polaroid conversions are essentially a dead idea.

    Ok, now I'll leave town for a few days.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo




    There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

  6. #6
    multi format
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    local
    Posts
    4,406

    Re: LIttman Camera, still being sold ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    I have seen "pre-Owned" Littman cameras come up on e-Bay from time to time. Conversions by other makers are available there too.

    There is a nine-year long train of threads on this forum devoted to the back-and-forth drama surrounding the conversion of Polaroid 110 series cameras to 4x5. It dates back to the first decade of this century; the 2K years. I doubt that Littman is active in photography at all anymore.

    But that was a long time ago as has been pointed out. I came to realize that if it was a really good idea to covert these old Polaroids to 4x5, it would have been done on a commercial scale. Additionally, if there was a genuine niche in LF photography for a hand-held rangefinder coupled 4x5, then a major outfit would have designed one from the ground up.

    No one revived the press camera genre or scaled that concept down to a handy grab-shot concept.. No one put together a scaled-up 4x5 based on the Bessa-II or any of the other fold-out medium format pocket cameras of the 1930-1950 era. There are reasons for that.

    Before and after the Polaroid conversion movement, there were other , less elaborate approaches to hand-held LF. The Hobo design is one, the TravelWide and WillTravel were the latest. Don't see many of these hand-held LF rigs around. I'm sure that there folks who swear by theirs. I respect them and their way of doing photography. . . .its just a real small corner.

    I think Polaroid conversions are essentially a dead idea.

    Ok, now I'll leave town for a few days.
    HI drew

    Yea. I remember the back and forths the law suit threats the other makers, I was just thinking of GL and wondering aloud if he was still making those cameras. the people who I know of who had them absolutely loved the camera and the results they got from it.
    I think the crux of the matter is back then film wasn't 4$ a sheet, you could get a 100sheet box of rebranded Ilford or European film for like 20bucks sadly now large format is almost unaffordable .. ( I know I can't afford it. LOL )

    to be honest I've always wanted a hobo 8x10 / 4x5 camera and was unhappy when B+S stopped selling them. I guess I could make my own but I am lazy.
    Last edited by jnantz; 28-May-2022 at 07:14.

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    8,253

    Re: LIttman Camera, still being sold ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    I think Polaroid conversions are essentially a dead idea.
    This guy at least...

    https://www.instantoptions.com/shop/4x5/

    ...is still doing them. Others are offering 3D-printed adapter kits for those who are comfortable doing their own camera surgery.

    Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    I saw his Facebook post ( like you, I don't have an account so I could just gawk ) and the link to the rental site with his bio. I wasn't sure it was real or not because it wasn't in ALL CAPS ...

  8. #8
    Corran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North GA Mountains
    Posts
    8,513

    Re: LIttman Camera, still being sold ?

    Since we are talking about Polaroid conversions, I'll mention that Steven with "Alpenhaus" died last year, so he's obviously not providing those anymore.

    I don't use it a lot but it's fun to have my Alpenhaus conversion with 135mm f/3.5 lens when I do want to shoot handheld. I wonder how many of these conversions come up for sale used?
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

  9. #9
    multi format
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    local
    Posts
    4,406

    Re: LIttman Camera, still being sold ?

    Corran

    I hope you bring that camera on your road trip ! If it was 4"x X" roll film I think that would be the perfect camera . I can't wait for JLane Plate company to start coating their emulsion on roll film!

  10. #10
    Unwitting Thread Killer Ari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    6,273

    Re: LIttman Camera, still being sold ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Since we are talking about Polaroid conversions, I'll mention that Steven with "Alpenhaus" died last year, so he's obviously not providing those anymore.
    I'm sorry to hear that. Steve was always a nice, talkative fellow with me, I know he rubbed some people the wrong way.
    But his conversions were always interesting. He made three for me before I gave up on the whole "handheld 4x5" thing.

Similar Threads

  1. Littman 45 camera
    By MR_Lyon in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-Jan-2011, 19:44
  2. Razzle/Littman: Good Travel Camera ?
    By Ken Lee in forum Location & Travel
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 20-Jan-2009, 05:47

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •