Thread: 510 Pyro in a Stearman Press tank

510 Pyro in a Stearman Press tank

I have been using 510 pyro on FP4+ sheet film in a Stearman Press tank in a semi stand technique with 2.5 mls of 510 to 500 mls of water and found that I am getting a deposit on the non emulsion side of the negative in bands that coincide with the verticals of the frame of the negative holder. I am using the latest version of the frame. It is best described as what you see left over from applying sellotape to glass and then peeling off the sellotape. It is not happening with development in Ilford DD-X.
    I think the artefact may be printing through especially in sky areas after digitising the negative and converting to positive with Grain to Pixel software.
    Anyone else had this and have any ideas as to its cause. I did contact Stearman who said it might be due to contact between the pyro and frame holder. I sent a picture of a clear negative with the problem but they did not respond a second time.

Re: 510 Pyro in a Stearman Press tank

I don't use the Stearman tank anymore, but I did have that issue along with a couple others. Generally, and from what I've read of others having the "latent image" issue comes down to agitation. More is better! You may find that semi-stand with this developer specifically in the Stearman tank just won't work.

a tray is superior to a Stearman for film development. Another choice is a round tank, Jobo or otherwise.

I agree with the responses above. Basically I would say any system that makes contact with the film within the image area (as the Stearman holders do) will potentially be problematic with stand/reduced agitation methods. Those artifacts on the base side of the film may or may not print depending on how pronounced they are. They are virtually impossible to completely remove, but can sometimes be improved a little with an extended treatment in hypo clear (2% sodium sulfite solution mixed with distilled water) followed by a thorough tap water wash. This can help remove residual dye, which may or may not improve the situation but can’t hurt.

I get the marks on the margins where the side tabs are if I do not agitate well enough at the beginning of the process (Version 1 holder). I changed my agitation scheme to 1.5-2 minutes for scenes without sky, or 2.5 minutes for scenes with open sky. The tab marks are not enough to bother me.

I wonder you can bleach the edge of a negative giving yourself clear margins?
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Never used the Stearman tank, but have done a significant amount of Pyro processing using unconventional processing techniques. This much is certain, initial agitation should be consistent and moderately vigorous and greater than 1.5 minutes. Subsequent agitation can be more gentle than the first cycle. Completely agree, no part of the film should be in contact with the container, flows patterns and abnormalities are sure to result.

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

I switched to the Stearman trays (not tanks) for PyroCat HD or use BTZS Film Tubes with no issues. I also had marks from the 445 tanks.

I haven't used 510 Pyro with a Stearman tank, but I have used PMK Pyro in the Stearman SP-445 and didn't have any trouble with anomalies in the development. Only thing is that I got some emulsion scratches in the rebate area along the edges in the spots where the little plastic tabs hold the film; no doubt because of the vigorous agitation I used. To my understanding vigorous agitation is a must to avoid uneven development with PMK generally, regardless of what tank you use. Is this also the case with 510 Pyro? I've only used PMK and Pyrocat HD, and both were good with that tank.

Quote Originally Posted by martiansea View Post
    To my understanding vigorous agitation is a must to avoid uneven development...Is this also the case with 510 Pyro?
    Not particularly...no. I've done various minimal agitation techniques to semi-stand development with 510 Pyro in various tanks (not the SP-445) and have never had any issues. On the other hand, in the past I've developed a few different emulsions with various developers (Pyrocat-HD being one) in the SP-445 and had faint "image outlines" of the holder holes and gouges in the emulsion along the film edges. Also, perhaps of note is that I've used three different versions of the holders for that tank. I will still use it occasionally, but it's strictly for testing purposes.