Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tripods

Re: Tripods

I have way too many tripods, mostly older Gitzos. I've found that the better current tripods tend to have much better locks, easier to turn, less likely to not really be locked....I'm getting a little feed up with my 3025 CF MKII, and, yes, I regularly perform maintenance on it. Lately, though, I've had a number of occasions where I thought all of the collars were tightened enough only to realize that they weren't. This is not only annoying, but it puts the other camera equipment at risk. I haven't used a current Manfrotto...Anyway, I hope you get great use out of it!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

KEH has some nice used models currently. Including the FLM CP26 Travel CF tripod and a few Gitzos.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

FLM is the only Tripod designed and contracted by a popular LFPF member

I like to think I had some input

I bought a big FLM with 100mm bowl
    Tin Can

The tripod/head world changed for me in two phases:

PHASE I:

For decades, I used a Bogen 3036 tripod (or its derivatives) tripod. It was the right height for me an my cameras. It could handle large cameras. And it had independent legs could be adjusted to any angle. This last feature was really helpful in the field. Like many of us I suspect, I didn't "realize" how heavy this tripod was until I bought carbon fiber. (Especially in combination with my tripod head.)

I purchased a Feisol 3372 tripod that weighs less than 4 lbs. Yet with it's beefy legs, it has a maximum weight capacity of 66 lbs. So many other CF tripods, even from Gitzo, have spindly legs. You can read about this tripod at www.feisol.com.

PHASE II:

Along with my Bogen 3036 tripod, I used a Manfrotto 3039 tripod head with it's hexagonal, quick release plates. This head is the professional version of a 3947 head. Very smooth, three way head. The hexagonal plates were strong enough to hold my 4x5 cameras. For larger cameras, I had a 4"x4" plate that worked with a 3039 head. And, there's the Bogen "Universal" quick release plate that works with these heads.

But after purchasing my Feisol 3372 CF tripod, my tripod head weighed more than my tripod. I finally succumbed, and I purchased an Arca Swiss D4 head that weighs about 2.5 lbs. Expensive, but sweet! It's sleek and beautifully designed. It's light-weight, and it uses the Arca Swiss, quick release plates. It's also a gear driven, three-way head, which makes it particularly easy to use with LF cameras. This light weight, gear driven tripod head can handle cameras that weigh up to 60 lbs! By releasing the two gears, it operates as a veritable ball head.

Life is better now.

That said, I still have my 3039 head that I use with a heavy, Gitzo Giant 5 tripod I bought used for when I need heights on the order of 12 feet or so. I have an adapter I use to accommodate my new Arca Swiss quick release plates.

Most of the time, my 3372/D4 combination works just fine. But on those rare occasions when I need real height, I decided not to let weight intervene.

FYI, used a Bogen 3021 with varied heads on it for decades. This combo has been use with all sorts of cameras from digital to a 5x7 Wisner field folder. This Bogen tripod has held up remarkably good. Kinda beat up now, still fully functional.

Bernice

I have many used and good tripods, KEH a good source

A Benbo #1 I bought new 30 years ago https://www.patersonphotographic.com...o-tripod-no-1/

and the FLM 2 years ago

now waiting for a bargain on eBay, tonight
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    FYI, used a Bogen 3021 with varied heads on it for decades. This combo has been use with all sorts of cameras from digital to a 5x7 Wisner field folder. This Bogen tripod has held up remarkably good. Kinda beat up now, still fully functional.

Bernice
    3021 with a Giottos MH3000 was my birding setup for heavy DSLR and long lenses, but it weighed about 10 pounds. I got tired of hiking with it and went to CF tripods ultimately landing on the FLM CP34 L4II and use a lightweight 3way head but am even thinking of switching to a halfball for the bowl with a simple QR system. Seems the desires never end.

I use a giant Linhof tripod from the 1960's with 90mm base for a levelling head. Very stable and very heavy with geared center post. Hoping to mount a 50+lb refractor telescope on it too. Another project!!

I bought a Sachtler Wood Tripod with 150mm 1/2 bowl, no head for $15, 30 years ago

I had no idea what it was, garage sale

It came with matching metal folding dolly with big wheels, big spikes

Finally I found an affordable 130mm male bowl at B&H, $60, best I could do

I made an aluminum height spacer to get it out of the hole and Majestic Head if needed

and now I am getting closer to using it!!!

I truly love my FLM 100 mm bowl and would not have liked the 75mm
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I have many used and good tripods, KEH a good source

A Benbo #1 I bought new 30 years ago https://www.patersonphotographic.com...o-tripod-no-1/

and the FLM 2 years ago

now waiting for a bargain on eBay, tonight
    Can I come clean out your house when you pass away? - I bet its a treasure trove of photographic gear.