Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tripods

Tripods

Does anybody use a Manfrotto 055 for LF photography? I've just bought a Toyo 45G and am looking for something to support it. I will not be using heavy lenses and want to keep weight down as much as possible. The next size up in the Manfrotto catalogue is a bit heavier than I would like. Anyone a happy user of the 055?
    Cheers.
    Stephen

Lachlan 717

Re: Tripods

There are so many new tripod brands that I believe are significantly more compelling than Manfrotto.

Companies like Feisol, Leofoto, Fotopro, FLM, Three Legged Thing etc all seem to put a lot of technology/R&D into products that were enough for me to leave Manfrotto behind.

Especially if you’re considering CF…
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

I am, albeit I have the Bogen precursor, i.e., the model number changed from Bogen 3221, the black version. I chose it to replace my 3051, which was great but simply too much to lug around, especially since I was switching from studio to field camera (4x5 Tachihara). I found a display model for $100. I also exchanged my 3047 head for a more compact 3025. The latter is not ideal, but with some alteration, it works well enough for me.

Manfrotto still carries parts for the tripod; at least, a company that is a subsidiary or related somehow does, and I bought the retractable spike feet for mine. I can't afford carbon fiber but have found the tripod very portable, vert flexible, and very solid. The height is adequate for my purposes; I'm about 5'6 and at near full extension, the GG is at eye level. I think it's a very good choice.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Manfrotto 055 is my main tripod on studio work with FF DSLR for more than 10 years. It’ll easily hold your camera properly (depending on your head choice). Easy to use, simple maintenance and accesible spare parts. However my choice for the field is Gitzo series 1 carbon tripod due to smaller weight.

Eric Woodbury

I used one for a long time. It was fine.

I sold off my aluminum 055, but kept my CF 055. The CF is a great tripod, and I prefer the Bogen 3047 head.

That stated, it's now relegated to secondary status. I bought an Induro CT-303, and I added a Manfrotto 808-RC4 tripod head. The Induro has a rated capacity of 55lbs, has three sections, spike leg conversion kit, and two columns. OTD it ran around $500 for the legs, and I found the head at Used Photo Pro for < $65. The rig weighs in at just over 6 lbs.

I mentioned in an earlier thread that I had Bogen 3035, 3251, 055, 3046, 3033; Manfrotto 475B; Gitzo G1220 Studex. They're all gone in favor of CF. The only aluminum left are a Leitz Tiltall, a Vivitar 1321, and a Slik Master 67 prototype, mostly for sentimental reasons.

I've used the Induro for equipment from DSLR up to my Cambo 4x5. Completely steady.
    Best,
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    I used one for a long time. It was fine.
    Field camera or monorail?

Tripods, heads, lenses, and backpacks - Save up and spend more than you are currently comfortable with and live without regrets - most of the time. Gear acquisition syndrome makes us think we have to have something now, but often the impulse buy can disappoint. With low and mid price gear it easier to buy than to sell/upgrade so you end up with a bunch of stuff.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

I have two aluminum 055 tripods. It will work fine for most typical 4x5 cameras and even most 8x10 cameras. They are heavier than more expensive carbon fiber options.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Thanks for the advice guys. i have just ordered a 055 and want to get a 229 head for it. At some point in the future I would like to get a 075 tripod for use in the sudio, but a more portable model is the major need at the moment.