Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warming filter for Lee 100 holder

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Warming filter for Lee 100 holder

I have the entire 4x4 Lee 81 set that Tim at Filter Find (or something like that) sold me years back at a Hayward camera show: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2809[1].jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	227517

I never used them and they appear to be unused and are separated by cardboard. I haven't thought about selling them but since they just sit on the shelf I'd take $150 US for the set + any shipping involved.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    I have the entire 4x4 Lee 81 set that Tim at Filter Find (or something like that) sold me years back at a Hayward camera show: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2809[1].jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	227517

I never used them and they appear to be unused and are separated by cardboard. I haven't thought about selling them but since they just sit on the shelf I'd take $150 US for the set + any shipping involved.

Thomas
    Tomas, how quickly can this be in Florida ?
    I have friends that come to Belgium the end of this month (need to ask if they can bring it with them)
    It would save me some $$

Patrick

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

PM sent.

Factors to consider.

Ektachrome is color balanced to a light source about 5000 degrees Kelvin. Color rendition on Ektachrome will alter based in the color temperature of the light used to expose the image on Ektachrome. Outdoor daylight color temperature varies LOTs depending on the time of day, cloud conditions, altitude and more.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Color-temperature-variation-single-day.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	227521

This way of nature WILL alter the image color image rendition on Ektachrome and any other color film. Higher the color temperature, the blu_er color rendition of the color image will be on Ektachrome or any other color film.

Kodak (Wratten) series 1B filter and the slightly higher density B+W KR1.5 filters are magenta "warming" filters that do not have the same effect as Kodak series 81 warming filters which has a orange tint.

To balance blue, apply some density of yellow (Kodak CCxx yellow units).

To balance green, apply some density of magenta ( Kodak Ccxx magenta units), this come up due to the 1B and KR1.5 "warming" filters.

Know the 81 series filters are intended to impart a lower color temperature light look to the image ala soft tungsten lighting (about 2000-3000 degrees Kelvin). These "warming" filters do not produce the same look-color rendition as 1B or KR1.5 "warming" filters.

This is much about what is needed for the color image goal, absolute color rendition accuracy or color rendition for a degree of emotional effect?
    Knowing what these goals are, then controlling or knowing the light source color temperature then adding the Color Correction filtering as needed will get the color rendition on Ektachrome or any other color film to meet these color image needs and goals.

Know how the color film is processed and color film batch has an effect of the color balance of the image. If the color lab is any good, their color processing will be consistent and stable with each batch of film processed. Color variations of film batches are a given. This is why testing is needed to gain control over this color film system.

Color temperature of the light being used to view the color image (transmitted or reflected and room ambient light) will alter the perception of color image. This is why back in the color film centric days of high quality color images a viewing color temperature of 5000 degrees Kelvin became standardize. The eye-brain/mind has the ability to compensate for variations in color temperature -vs- perceived color. Be aware of this and know perception of color is a learned skill that takes understanding of how this color stuff works, the techno stuff related to this color film stuff and LOTs of real world-real time practice.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMarq View Post
    Over the years I have invested in the Lee filter system so I can use this from 35mm up to 4x5.

Now I’m looking for a warming filter 81C, but it seems that Lee does not makes this filter anymore.
    As I have started to use Kodak Ektachrome E100 from time to time this filter would temper the blue.

Does anyone knows a filter from a different brand that will fit in the Lee 100mm holder, and is about the same warming ?
    Last edited by Bernice Loui; 24-May-2022 at 13:37.