Thread: Please help identify 8x10 light leaks

Please help identify 8x10 light leaks

I purchased an Deardorff 8x10 last summer from a member on the forum here and have finally gotten around to shooting with it. On my first shots noticed some light leaks on both negatives in the exact same spot. I've included a crop of the photos which shows the side where the dark slide was removed. I shined a light in my camera and see that light is escaping from a gap in the joint of the film back. It appears that the wood has contracted and the joint has left a small enough gap for light to escape. Can anyone confirm that this is where the light leak is coming from? And if anyone has dealt with this, what have you filled the gap with to correct it? Wood glue dries transparent so I'm hesitant to use that. I'm not sure what is safe beside wood glue to use on the wood.

Is the light coming from the crack AND the opening in the film holder? I see light coming from the corner of the film holder as well but since its on both sides in the same spot, I figure its a camera issue. Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leak1.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	227473Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leak2.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	227474Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2676.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	227471Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2675.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	227472

Re: Please help identify 8x10 light leaks

either way, a light sanding and a fresh coat of flat black paint with a little extra in the cracks couldn't hurt.

Also I noticed that there is a crack in the interior part of the frame where the notch is to hold the film holder in place. could light be leaking from there too?

Any sort of crack/joint separation which in any way might connect the outside to the inside should be suspect. While the suggestion above regarding the light sanding and repainting with flat black is excellent, I would - after sanding but before painting...mix up some black pigment powder with glue (epoxy is great) to fill those cracks. Then sand, then paint. Of course, if the cracks are tiny enough that the paint would fill them completely without such prior filling...great - but just be very careful, as paint which appears to be "crack filling" can shrink away a bit when it dries. At the very least, follow the above advice...with "a little bit extra" paint in those cracks! Also make sure to test in bright sunlight to make sure all is well.

Arca-Swiss

It appears your light trap groove is worn out/damaged, as you surmised. This could easily cause the observed light leaks you showed on the negs. K B Canham, or Hough may ne able to repair this as they both repair and make or made cameras.
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com