Thread: a Compur shutter with issues

a Compur shutter with issues

I'm taking apart the Compur shutter of my Devin camera. The lens is a Dogmar 5.5" f/4.5. The shutter is very hard to arm and the slow times are very erratic. Shutter and diaphragm are clean.

So I took it apart and when cleaning the parts I found this:

https://quirinus.one/forum_foto/devin/braam_03.jpg

There is damage on the ring that arms the shutter. Now I don't see if it is really damaged metal or the nickel plating that is coming off. In any case I don't think it is advisable to let it be like that. But at the same time I have no idea what is the best course of action.

Let it be, taking only the very loose parts off? Or taking a file and filing it all back to bare metal? I'm not going to leave it this way because if any of those shards comes of and gets between one of the gears then I'm in more trouble.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Re: a Compur shutter with issues

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    I'm taking apart the Compur shutter of my Devin camera. The lens is a Dogmar 5.5" f/4.5. The shutter is very hard to arm and the slow times are very erratic. Shutter and diaphragm are clean.

So I took it apart and when cleaning the parts I found this:

https://quirinus.one/forum_foto/devin/braam_03.jpg

There is damage on the ring that arms the shutter. Now I don't see if it is really damaged metal or the nickel plating that is coming off. In any case I don't think it is advisable to let it be like that. But at the same time I have no idea what is the best course of action.

Let it be, taking only the very loose parts off? Or taking a file and filing it all back to bare metal? I'm not going to leave it this way because if any of those shards comes of and gets between one of the gears then I'm in more trouble.
    Its just the plating coming off. You can sand those areas down without any consequences. Try to create as smooth a surface as possible. The inside of that "main lever" ring is more important than the bottom or top surface, but its a good idea to clean off that loose plating and buff it down as smooth as you can anyway.

Re: a Compur shutter with issues

I got out a more powerful loupe and indeed it looked as it is the plating. So I torn off all loose plating. After that I gave it a buffing with a fibre glass "eraser". Up to the next stage to get everything back together again.
    Expert in non-working solutions.