Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4x4 filter on 360mm Symmar-S?

Re: 4x4 filter on 360mm Symmar-S?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Filter size should never be the deciding factor to lens choice, think tail wagging the dogggie.

Or why the square filter system or large threaded filter system or series iV filters with adapters as needed. The fixed threaded in filter ideology often comes from using 35mm, 120 roll medium format or digital portable cameras where a threaded in filters is a good choice. Not the same for view camera stuff as the needs and filter usage is not the same. Habits previously ingrained can be difficult to un-learn.
    Hard disagree. I believe It's perfectly reasonable to standardize on a filter size for a given lens kit. I dare say it's fairly common for current 2022 users of view camera lenses as well as 35mm/120 film and lenses. Square (or rectangular) filters offer a different choice of workflow.

67mm and 77mm filters common here for field use. Sometimes 95mm. And square filters for GND usage. Interestingly, if one always shoots with the view camera level and rise/fall used for composition, screw in GNDs are usable since the horizon is centered on the filter. Screw in GNDs are rare though it seems, as they don't work well for normal cameras without movements.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

(Shrek)

It occurs to me that I'm going to have the same problem when I get around to trying mine that I bought last winter. I'm thinking I can either 3d-print an adapter for the 100mm square filters, or machine a reducing ring out of aluminum on the lathe to mount one of my existing square filter adapters. You should be able to tell if vignetting is going to be a problem by using a cardboard jig or something to hold your filter holder in front of the lens while you check on your gg.

I do have a couple of 6" square filters kicking around that would be more suited to this lens, I don't remember which but I seem to recall a coffee-colored grad and a 'contrast lowering' which is basically finely pebbled glass, which I believe defeats the purpose of using a modern plasmat.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Well, I think it's going to work. If I'm doing this correctly, I get a view angle of ~ 81 degrees with the filter holder attached and the lens coverage is supposedly 70 degrees stopped down to f22. I taped the holder to the front of the lens and looking through the rear element the holder doesn't come into view until I "swing" it a few degrees to a side.

Thomas

100m or 4" square attached to the front should be ok. Calculated front element diameter is about 67mm, plus angle of view-distance from the front element should still fit within the 100mm or 4" square filter. Tape or rubber band should be ok. Alternate is to find a 120mm to diameter to fit the holder step ring. Know 120mm filters are not a standard size.
    Alternative is to use a on camera filter rod holder that does not depend on threading the filter holder on to the lens.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Well, I think it's going to work. If I'm doing this correctly, I get a view angle of ~ 81 degrees with the filter holder attached and the lens coverage is supposedly 70 degrees stopped down to f22. I taped the holder to the front of the lens and looking through the rear element the holder doesn't come into view until I "swing" it a few degrees to a side.

Thomas