Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Traveling by Air In July: How should I handle LF Film?

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Traveling by Air In July: How should I handle LF Film?

Travel photography used to be fun too… in the good old days.

Drew Wiley

I certainly don't trust Fedex entirely. I've never had a problem with Airport Xrays concerning film; just left it in the carry-on and sent it through. No fog even on 400 speed film after multiple X-Rays, even densitometer tested. But the last time I asked for "hand inspection" it just made them suspicious. They took all my lenses out, popped the caps to look through each of them, fiddled with my 4x5 and light meter; never again - darn near missed my flight. Next time we fly I'll probably ask well in advance what kind of machines are in use. Meanwhile, please share your own experiences or potential nightmares with these newer machines.

Last time I flew with sheet film, about a year ago, I had it shipped ups to a UPS location near the airport, picked up, shot, then had it shipped back home when I returned. I actually shipped my loaded holders, didn't feel like taking a light tent with me.

Agree...Ship it All

I want my hands free whenever in a crowd...

I have shipped stuff to myself for 20 years

USPS won't pack, but they have General Delivery with 2 week hold for pickup. ID required

FedEx stores do lousy packing, but you can DIY pack inside the store with their supplies

I have shipped broken cars home twice in 20 years, left keys in an envelope with instructions at my Hotel front desk

I ship gear to Racetracks, everybody does!

Sometimes we bought an airplane seat for gear

Quote Originally Posted by fiddle View Post
    Last time I flew with sheet film, about a year ago, I had it shipped ups to a UPS location near the airport, picked up, shot, then had it shipped back home when I returned. I actually shipped my loaded holders, didn't feel like taking a light tent with me.
    Tin Can

Just came back from a two week trip. We shipped my film and some extra clothes and hiking boots. I carried on my camera bag and small suitcase with the rest of my clothes. Alas I was only traveling with a Canon 5ds, EOS 1n and a Yashica Mat 124. Left my bigger toys at home on this trip.

I just got back from a Texas to Kauai trip and 5 inspections. Here is what I found:

1) I should have carried the film in the original, unsealed boxes and loaded on-site (hotel, airbnb, etc). They don't care about the factory sealed boxes.
    2) I carried 10 B/W holders and 5 color holders. They inspected every single one of them. I could have checked them and save myself and others behind me lots of time.
    3) I used an F-64 backpack which worked very well (4 lenses, 4x5, etc) and they didn't care at all about that as it went through X-Ray.
    4) If you try to explain that the film holders shouldn't be opened, they will "extra-inspect" them. Each of my holders was removed from the bags (f-64 5 holder bags) and tested with the swabs.
    5) If they tell you that the x-ray is safe for anything under 800ASA, tell them you are shooting 3200 ASA film. I had one guy in San Diego who actually shot 4x5 and told the co-worker it was all film but she inspected every holder anyway.

Get there early and let people behind you know you are going to be a problem. I purchased a seat for the camera equipment (tripod, F-64 case) and that was even more confusing for the airlines. I thought it would help but it caused more delays as they tried to figure out why I did that as the bag fit overhead. The last time I shipped my 4x5 in a pelican case I ended up with a very scratched case and a broken $300 focussing screen.

Hope that helps

How certain is the statement that film sent as a parcel (as opposed to luggage) will not be subjected to CT?
    I'm interested by actual experience, not internet lore. Especially private-to-private mailing; parcels from stores might have relaxed rules.

Air Travel Wwith LF Film: What should I Do?

Haven't flown with my gear in a few years now. Will fly from Houston to Denver in one hop and return in July.

What is new? How should I handle my film?

I will be using T-Max 100, Tri-X 320 and Ektachrome 100.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard_L View Post
    How certain is the statement that film sent as a parcel (as opposed to luggage) will not be subjected to CT?
    I'm interested by actual experience, not internet lore. Especially private-to-private mailing; parcels from stores might have relaxed rules.
    Most of us buy film that is shipped to us, so that would suggest that regular, in country parcel carriers (USPS, UPS, FedEx) are probably safe. I’ve never bought film internationally, but some in the US have bought from Fotoimpex. I don’t know their experience.

Re: Air Travel Wwith LF Film: What should I Do?

Isn’t this question also in the location/travel section?