Thread: ABC Pyro in sun hit balcony and Mask for powder water mixing

ABC Pyro in sun hit balcony and Mask for powder water mixing

I bought 5 rolls of Adox CHS 100 II ISO 100 and want to develop it with best diy developer formula in my hand. I love weston and want to use his formula. Low contrast , high acutance and low ugly grain.

I will use my 1938 Leica iii and 1938 Elmar 5cm. I want to learn what is the european code of face mask for protection when mixing pyrogallol with water and can I secure parts a,b,c in black containers in sun hit balcony ?

Re: ABC Pyro in sun hit balcony and Mask for powder water mixing

Mustafa, that developer is fairly grainy. The reason Weston’s prints have no grain is because they were contact prints. If you are enlarging from 35mm, different story. You may or may not like it.

Incidentally, the pyro developer commonly referred to as ABC is actually Kodak D-1. (although of course there are various dilutions including the purported Edward Weston dilution).

Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    I bought 5 rolls of Adox CHS 100 II ISO 100 and want to develop it with best diy developer formula in my hand. I love weston and want to use his formula. Low contrast , high acutance and low ugly grain.

I will use my 1938 Leica iii and 1938 Elmar 5cm. I want to learn what is the european code of face mask for protection when mixing pyrogallol with water and can I secure parts a,b,c in black containers in sun hit balcony ?

AN N 95 mask should suffice when mixing any type of dry powder Pyro, be it, PyroGallol or PyroCatechin. Once Pyro powders are in solution they are no more toxic than ordinary Darkroom chemicals. IMHO, PyroCat variations (PyroCatchin) far out distance the ABC, PMK, Rollo versions of Pyro Developers (PyroGallol acid) The PyroGallol is much more susceptible to oxidation that the PyroCatechin formulas such as PyroCat HD and others. As mentioned, the Pyrogallol creates a much larger grain pattern than the PyroCat variations. Lastly, PyroCat is likely 1/3rd the cost to mix from scratch as compared to ABC.

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

Pyrocat and PMK Pyro were designed to work better with modern B&W emulsions. If you want to get the optimum quality negatives with a staining developer, I would recommend you use one of these two developers, PMK Pyro will produce slightly finer grain in my experience. I have used ABC Pyro developer in the past, but only with 8x10 inch negatives.