Thread: Stiff Linhof 003668-90 leveling head fixed !

Stiff Linhof 003668-90 leveling head fixed !

In a previous thread, I mentioned having recently acquired a Linhof 003668-90 leveling head that was basically frozen and so stiff, it was unusable.

Well, just wanted to report that I fixed it and it was relatively simple. It was a combination of thickened grease and making an adjustment to the huge slot head screw on the underside of the tilting platform. You will need a solvent such as Naptha or maybe even mineral spirits and a wide,very high quality gunsmithing screwdriver to do the fix. Specifically , I used the widest slot head bit in my Chapman Gunsmith Screwdriver set and used the ratchet handle so as to stay close to the screw head and avoid bit cam out. I backed off the huge screw until I was able to easily move the arc mechanism. I chose not to remove the grease but used a few drips of naphtha to thin and help redistribute the grease. I then attached the head to my camera stand and mounted my 4x5 Kardan TE and proceeded to work the head back and forth to redistribute the grease. I did this left right motion constantly for about 2-3 minutes and it got nice and smooth. Then I gradually re tightened the huge screw on the underside of the tilt platform till the locking mechanism would prevent the arc motion of the head from moving. Works great now.

Hopefully this will help someone out there. I remember one member had the exact issue with his Linhof head and wasn't using it as a result.

Bibb in San Antonio,Texas

Re: Stiff Linhof 003668-90 leveling head fixed !

Good, thank you for the report. Gunsmith-style screw drivers are nice, especially for those large head narrow-slotted screws with which European view camera makers seem to be particularly enamored.

David