Thread: Linhof Crests-Counterfeits?

Linhof Crests-Counterfeits?

I just purchased some Linhof 18mm size crests to replace some that fell off my lens boards. These are new and came from a highly rated seller on that auction site. I paid only a little less than if I had purchased from B&H or Omega Brandess. When comparing them to my known Genuine Linhof Crests, they lack definition and detailing in the enameled areas. Something doesn't seen right with these crests. Has anyone ever seen confirmed "Counterfeit" Linhof Crests? Contemplating returning them.

Thanks,
    Bibb in San Antonio.Texas
    Last edited by bibbt; 16-May-2022 at 20:39. Reason: corrected the size of crest

Re: Linhof Crests-Counterfeits?

Not sure about the Linhof crest, but the new badges supplied by Mercedes are plastic when the old ones were metal. I found this out with the Mercedes SL I'm currently restoring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old Badge.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	227324

Name:	New badge.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	227323

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Not sure about the Linhof crest, but the new badges supplied by Mercedes are plastic when the old ones were metal. I found this out with the Mercedes SL I'm currently restoring.

Name:	Old Badge.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	227324

Name:	New badge.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	227323
    So I'm really surprised someone else out there hasn't encountered the sub standard crests like I bought. These crests are metal and look real, they just have poor detail. The seller told me he bought a bunch of them from a vendor at a camera show about 8 years ago so no telling the true origin. I suspect they are Chinese counterfeit.

Wow, I'm surprised Mercedes would so that. So are you saying the old part number superseded to that plastic one? That makes the old ones that much more valuable and desirable for people doing truly authentic restorations. I feel your pain. At one time I was heavily involved in early Porsche 911 restoration. Most people don't realize this but the Porsche Hood Crest has been through about 4-5 changes over the years. Exactly the same size, but the color of the enamel is slightly different. Old ones in good shape are worth a lot of money to the people that want their restorations "period correct".

Bibb in San Antonio,Texas

I purchased a linhof lensboard from a camera shop & it did not fit my MT.
    The crest did different-less detailed - not sure if it was counterfeit or not.
    I returned it & purchased a Bromwell aftermarket board (at B&H) which fit - oddly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Serge S View Post
    I purchased a linhof lensboard from a camera shop & it did not fit my MT.
    The crest did different-less detailed - not sure if it was counterfeit or not.
    I returned it & purchased a Bromwell aftermarket board (at B&H) which fit - oddly enough.
    I think the Linhof rep mentioned something about a batch of Genuine Linhof Technika boards where the thickness of the paint caused fitment issues on some models. Maybe it was one of those boards? Or maybe it wasn't Genuine Linhof. So I suspect that over the years there must be slight variations in the lens board crests. Way back in the early 80's, my first personal view camera in photography school was a Kardan 45S. It was produced in 1974. I loved this camera even compared to a Sinar. Anyway, I purchased a recessed Kardan board from a Linhof dealer in about 1984 and the crest on that new board definitely was different than the one on my 1974 vintage board. The old crest actually was filled with some sort of clear coating that had yellowed where as the newer crest wasn't coated and the detail of the casting was exposed.

I realize none of this has a damn thing to do with how the gear functions or the images that I make. The substandard crests that I purchased just made me think about all of this.

A few random thoughts.
    Counterfeiting is driven by demand. Apparently there's a market for Linhof badges... maybe Genuine Linhof badges cost $500 with a year's wait?
    Certainly the value of old 911s and Benz SLs has skyrocketed in recent years- in part driven by the sales success of both brands. There's a much larger pool now of Porsche (SUV) and M-B owners who want to connect with their beloved marque's history, and they have lots of money too.
    But while Linhof carries a similar quality/status recognition in the photo world, I suspect that there are few people with a brand-new Linhof suddenly desiring a "classic" Technika III. I don't see prices of old Linhofs tripling and quadrupling, like (say) those of 356s or 190SLs.
    Per ic-racer's experience, perhaps like Mercedes, Linhof may be compromising on their badge quality (or perhaps the one employee who hand-enameled the badges finally retired).
    Disclosure; I've never owned a Linhof (although I did once own a Linhof-branded Schneider lens, on an official Technika board with the crest).

https://www.linhofstudio.com has original Linhof crests (go to the bottom of the page)

Quote Originally Posted by bibbt View Post
    I think the Linhof rep mentioned something about a batch of Genuine Linhof Technika boards where the thickness of the paint caused fitment issues on some models. Maybe it was one of those boards? Or maybe it wasn't Genuine Linhof. So I suspect that over the years there must be slight variations in the lens board crests. Way back in the early 80's, my first personal view camera in photography school was a Kardan 45S. It was produced in 1974. I loved this camera even compared to a Sinar. Anyway, I purchased a recessed Kardan board from a Linhof dealer in about 1984 and the crest on that new board definitely was different than the one on my 1974 vintage board. The old crest actually was filled with some sort of clear coating that had yellowed where as the newer crest wasn't coated and the detail of the casting was exposed.

I realize none of this has a damn thing to do with how the gear functions or the images that I make. The substandard crests that I purchased just made me think about all of this.

No, that’s not what I said. I posted a few years ago that LInhof announced that they had tighten their tolerances and that older boards would not fit (mount) on newer camera bodies without using a table knife to scrape the long sides of the board down.
    They did this so the boards would not move side to side on the camera once mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    No, that’s not what I said. I posted a few years ago that LInhof announced that they had tighten their tolerances and that older boards would not fit (mount) on newer camera bodies without using a table knife to scrape the long sides of the board down.
    They did this so the boards would not move side to side on the camera once mounted.
    Bob,
    Sorry about my confusion on what you posted about the boards. I probably should have done better research before I quoted you.

On the subject of boards moving from side to side... At one point in my career I worked for a photographer where we exclusively used Sinar P and F cameras. I was always surprised at how sloppy the boards fit would become in the front standard after a short period of use. We would send them out for a tune-up but it wasn't too long before the boards were loose again. Made it difficult to do multiple exposures and keep everything in register. I would end up taping them so they wouldn't move. I expected more from Sinar and a camera in that price range..

Thanks,