Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to secure Sinar Norma Case for shipping

How to secure Sinar Norma Case for shipping

Hi everyone.

I have a Sinar Norma in its case that I need to ship. It has the 2 "eyes" that you
    run whatever you're using around the body and through and then use a padlock.

What do you use? I can't find anything that will fit through the eyes. I don't want
    to box it up because that'll increase the shipping cost considerably.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be eternally grateful

Thanks

Jan

Re: How to secure Sinar Norma Case for shipping

Quote Originally Posted by movida View Post
    Hi everyone.

I have a Sinar Norma in its case that I need to ship. It has the 2 "eyes" that you
    run whatever you're using around the body and through and then use a padlock.

What do you use? I can't find anything that will fit through the eyes. I don't want
    to box it up because that'll increase the shipping cost considerably.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be eternally grateful

Thanks

Jan

My first Norma came in case stuffed with lots of newspaper. Pack it tightly not loosely. Recently I bought an 8x10 Norma case from a Guy in Italy. It came to me wrapped in cardboard many layers. Lots of strapping tape. Cost me a hundred Euros to ship it to me but I gladly paid it. It is in best condition I have ever seen. 8x10 case in good condition is hard to find
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Hi and thank you

I've got everything packed into the case securely. What I want to do is find some kind of cable that I
    can wrap around the body, through the eyes attached to the case top, and secure with a padlock, both
    to keep it closed during shipping and preventing anyone from opening it.

There are bicycle cables that would work but they're too thick to thread under the eyes on the top.
    I'd rather send it that way than have to box it up as that would seriously increase shipping costs which
    are through the roof anyway right now.

I'll attach a pic with the eyes circled as my descriptive abilities disappear at times

JanClick image for larger version. 

Name:	case1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	227312

Those eyes are there to attach backpack straps, which were available separately.

Sorry can't advise you further, but if it were me, I'd box it with extra padding. Double boxing is even better.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

second the "Double boxing" Worked with getting my 8x10 Norma back shipped to me from overseas.

Hi and thank you

I've got everything packed into the case securely. What I want to do is find some kind of cable that I
    can wrap around the body, through the eyes attached to the case top, and secure with a padlock, both
    to keep it closed during shipping and preventing anyone from opening it.

There are bicycle cables that would work but they're too thick to thread under the eyes on the top.
    I'd rather send it that way than have to box it up as that would seriously increase shipping costs which
    are through the roof anyway right now.

I'll attach a pic with the eyes circled as my descriptive abilities disappear at times

JanClick image for larger version. 

Name:	case1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	227312
    You can use any strap or cable but all it takes is a pair of dykes to cut it open, after they carry off the case.

Well, I guess that won't work I'll just double box it.

But it would never, in a million years, occur to me that someone would attach backpack straps to it
    and carry this loaded, heavy, rigid case on their back!

Thanks guys

Jan

Well, I guess that won't work I'll just double box it.

But it would never, in a million years, occur to me that someone would attach backpack straps to it
    and carry this loaded, heavy, rigid case on their back!

Thanks guys

Jan
    I got a pair of those straps about 50 years ago. Put them on my Norma case and for the life of me couldn't get the thing up on my back. I think you'd need to have the case on some sort of a lift and elevate it to carrying level and then put your arms through. Then you'd need another lift at the end of your journey to get the thing off your back. I've seen a picture in some Sinar literature of a gent with the case up on his back. He was wearing a jacket and tie to boot as I remember.

I may still have the straps somewhere...

David

That's really funny. He's probably not been able to stand upright since

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by David Lindquist View Post
    ...I've seen a picture in some Sinar literature of a gent with the case up on his back. He was wearing a jacket and tie to boot as I remember.
    This is the picture you're referring to. I got the case and carry straps when I bought my 5x7 Norma around '70; both are still practically new condition. I cringe every time I see this. it'd be hilarious if a current video were available showing him getting that rig on/off his back. Standing up straight like that, the case was likely empty for the photo, otherwise it would pull him over backwards (but he does have a grip on the handrail).