Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What’s your most “unpopular” opinion about LF?

Re: What’s your most “unpopular” opinion about LF?

Indeed. But don’t tell Drew W.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    The technical quality of LF photography when it comes down to finished prints was matched by common digital imaging tools at least 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    The technical quality of LF photography when it comes down to finished prints was matched by common digital imaging tools at least 10 years ago.
    With exceptions, of course. And I would prefer 'equaled' rather than 'matched'. The quality is as high, but different.

If the OP's question was about one's most biased opinion, mine would be that it's damn difficult to beat a contact print.

But my opinions that seem to be unpopular...

3) Viewing the upside down image on the GG can help one to compose.
    2) When I correct others who say the image we see on the GG is upside down and backwards. It is not backwards. No one ever thanks me for pointing that out.
    1) It is okay not to crop.
    Last edited by Vaughn; 12-May-2022 at 21:20.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

One must always print to display the the full rebate, notches and film clip marks, otherwise it's not truly LF.

The 150mm is an extremely exciting lens to use for 4x5 landscapes.

tha main reason to shoot LF is so the people with you get frustrated at the time it takes and leave you behind, so you can spend as much time on your shots as you want without feeling rushed.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    The 150mm is an extremely exciting lens to use for 4x5 landscapes.
    I like this. If one says 150mm, others will say vanilla. Not a popular 4x5 focal length, but should be.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    2) When I correct others who say the image we see on the GG is upside down and backwards. It is not backwards. No one ever thanks me for pointing that out.
    Hey, you're right, it is just turned upside down. Thanks, man. The only time it's backwards is if you're viewing from the lens side (like having positive paper in the film holder)

You're welcome! My printing process (single transfer carbons) also reverses the image so I need to be aware of that when working with the image on the GG. I mentally flip the image around an axis running horizontally across the center of the glass, turning it right-side up and backwards. For platinum prints I just mentally spin the image on the GG 180 degrees on its same plane...turning it right-side up without reversing the image.

multiplex

people who do large format photography make it seem as if it is really difficult, like there is some sort of mystique about it and think just because they use a sheet film camera that somehow their photographs are better than someone's iPhone photograph, when the only difference might be that it took the large format photographer 45 minutes to set up the photograph and what they wanted to take a picture of moved, they took a picture of something else instead and they had a great (better?) story to tell and better more interesting clouds. But unfortunately they can't share the photograph with friends and family because they might not like digital sharing techniques, or the digital exchange doesn't show their blacks to be black hole-y enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    But I've mostly learned to keep my mouth shut.

Mostly...
    im trying and have trouble mostly ..

Sure an LF camera is a tool to be used, but I view the older wooden cameras heirlooms to be conserved for the future use of others. My view is that we do not actually own that Ansco, 2D or 'Dorff. In my view we should consider ourselves to be stewards of a photographic instrument that will never be made again. Yes, there are current production view cameras, but that B&J, grey painted and clunky or that Kodak or Ansco with awkward or limited movements are usable antiques. My Eastman View No. 2D was crafted before I was born. Thes older view cameras to be used and maintained fro photographers, perhaps not yet born. The 2D? I just have it on loan for these few years.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!