Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: What’s your most “unpopular” opinion about LF?

Re: What’s your most “unpopular” opinion about LF?

Nostalgic and speaks of a tempered time, a monoculture of sorts then changed by Vietnam.

Not really taken with the image otherwise. Probably would have preferred a grainy Leica image to the Hasselblad (assumption).

Quote Originally Posted by pdmoylan View Post
    ...Probably would have preferred a grainy...image...
    Perfect segue to another unpopular opinion of mine, this one not specific to large format. I hate grain and have always considered it "noise" in the system, i.e. a defect to be avoided. Typically accomplished by using larger film and contact printing

When I think of “proper” examples of grain, Salgado comes immediately to mind and why would he wish to introduce it into prints from Canon and Pentax MF digital cameras but to create texture and tri-x simulation. But his is not LF but perhaps the most poignant examples historically of man’s plight in a harsh world. The grain in his images never gets in the way of the potency of his work imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    I hate grain and have always considered it "noise" in the system, i.e. a defect to be avoided. Typically accomplished by using larger film and contact printing
    I like grain -- and I don't just mean in my sandwich bread. However, when I want a grainy photo I usually reach for Kodak 2475 in my Minolta MG-s 16mm sub-mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    I like how the two redwoods frame the three background kings.

Did you use only front rise and nothing else?
    No movements that I remember. The camera was pointed fairly level, but might have used back tilt to keep the redwoods pointed in the right direction. The camera had no indents so I would have 'zeroed them out' by what was on the GG. It was Sept, 2001 and I had three 4 year olds boys sitting on a blanket having lunch next to me while I quickly set-up and exposed three sheets. The 11x14 was fairly new to me and wanted back-up negs for any needed development changes (time/temp/method). I managed to get the job done before my boys got up and started to run between the legs of the tripod.

FP4...f64 @ 30 seconds. I print (carbon) the neg I developed in a staining developer.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China