Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: What’s your most “unpopular” opinion about LF?

Re: What’s your most “unpopular” opinion about LF?

I've got two that come immediately to mind:

1. If you buy a good incident meter and learn to use it you won't have any trouble properly exposing film. And you'll get your exposure faster.

2. Pre-soaking doesn't actually do anything to make development more even. How can it? If I push a dry sheet of film down into the developer, the difference in wet time from one part of the film to the next is (perhaps) one second. You are NEVER going to see (or measure) the fact that this cm or that got 1 second more time in the developer. If you push already wet (presoaked) film down into the developer, parts of the sheet get developer ever so slightly faster that other parts. Same difference.

Deana Lawson is more representative of today's LF camera users than the people on here wasting all their time worrying themselves silly about camera movements, film prices and irrelevant film vs digital 'comparisons'.

I'll add another:

- You could have taken that one if all you had was a Crown Graphic.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    The technical quality of LF photography when it comes down to finished prints was matched by common digital imaging tools at least 10 years ago.
    Yup. Except it would be more accurate to replace "matched" with "exceeded."

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    Indeed. But don’t tell Drew W.
    Oh, go ahead, tell him.

Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to some day making Large Format photographs using an LSX45 back

on my Graflok-equipped cameras and posting about them here in categories other than The Lounge. Do tell Drew W that too!

By the way, when signing up with LARGESENSE for updates about the LSX45, I included a note saying that 300 MegaPixels would be "adequate." No need for 500.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to some day making Large Format photographs using an LSX45 back

on my Graflok-equipped cameras and posting about them here in categories other than The Lounge. Do tell Drew W that too!

By the way, when signing up with LARGESENSE for updates about the LSX45, I included a note saying that 300 MegaPixels would be "adequate." No need for 500.
    What would be really nifty is if this thing could be combined with the 4x5 AF system that other guy came up with. I think it’s somewhere on here.

Deana Lawson's work could be done with any digital camera or film camera, her work is much about expressive content. Using a view camera is part of performance art as a means to engage the humanity she is working with.

~This is not new, it has been done over the long history of photography. Deana Lawson's work should be a reminder of the Importance of expressive image content in place of technical "perfection".

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    Deana Lawson is more representative of today's LF camera users than the people on here wasting all their time worrying themselves silly about camera movements, film prices and irrelevant film vs digital 'comparisons'.

Most unpopular opinion? That using a view camera is really cool. I quit believing that when DSLR photographers started looking at me, not with admiration, but with the kind of pitiful gaze reserved for those who are hopelessly behind the times.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    What would be really nifty is if this thing could be combined with the 4x5 AF system that other guy came up with. I think it’s somewhere on here.
    Nah, no need for autofocus. I even use my D810 like a view camera, on a tripod, live view, magnifier zooming the display in/out around the ground glass the same as a loupe, manually focusing to perfection.

This could be a really long list as a reflection of how much folks that apply sheet film to create images today -vs- from years ago when film was "it".
    IMO, there are SO many web and YouTube content creators that have limited experience with what sheet film once was, then project their limited experience as data media content which can become overly influential of what this sheet film view camera stuff really is or once was.

There is now an entire Foto culture of "Ansel Adams" wanna be's, coupled with the outdoor adventures of hiking-camping and all that. Add to this the revival of alternative process image making.. It's all good, if not for this interest in sheet film stuff, sheet film view camera as a means of image making would have died years ago.

Discussion and appreciation of well developed techniques, understanding, wisdom of what makes painting and related art creations is not often appreciated enough by Fotographers.. to do the study, understanding and how what has been gained in the past of what works and what does not work in artistic art creations is discounted under the guise of "creative self expression".. ~Yes folks, there are very real reasons why some artistic creations endure the test of time, ponder why?

This discussion ties into two previous LFF discussions:

How did we come to LF.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...-We-Come-To-LF

Why LF.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...y-Large-Format

Bernice

I also use my 35mm camera(s) the same way I use a view camera. It’s just that since I’m almost always under low light conditions I don’t see anywhere near as well on a 4x5 ground glass as I do through a small format viewfinder, so LF focusing for me has always been hard without an aid of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Nah, no need for autofocus. I even use my D810 like a view camera, on a tripod, live view, magnifier zooming the display in/out around the ground glass the same as a loupe, manually focusing to perfection.