Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: What’s your most “unpopular” opinion about LF?

Re: What’s your most “unpopular” opinion about LF?

Quote Originally Posted by pdmoylan View Post
    …as long as the field cameras have all movements but particularly rear rise, fall and shift. Makes compositions that much easier. ...
    I'd love to know more about these field cameras with rear rise and fall... I don't know of any myself.

I do, however, understand the desire for lots of movements on folding field cameras. I won't buy one without shift on at least one standard, front rise/fall plus swings and tilts and back swings and tilts.

Those capabilities plus the point-and swing/tilt methods to get more effective rise/fall/shift allow me to work in just about any situation with 3-pound cameras.

Doremus

Based upon specs, certain Ebony and Shen Hao 4x5 cameras have the referenced rear movements and in some instances rear swing as well (probably the least used movement in any LF camera owing to the associated distortion created (front swing being much more useful), but I have not tried either. Rear tilts are important when one points the camera down or up and you want to keep the film plane perpendicular to the ground).

The great thing about rear rise and fall is that for landscapes in particular, you can so easily move the horizon line which IME is critical for realizing best composition. It also reduces need to point the camera down or up and modify the rear tilt, a 2 step process vs 1 step rise/fall. Rather moving the camera and tripod to the left or right to obtain refined vertical borders, rear shift allows easy corrections. Just my experience.,

Based upon specs, certain Ebony and Shen Hao 4x5 cameras have the referenced rear movements and in some instances rear swing as well (probably the least used movement in any LF camera owing to the associated distortion created (front swing being much more useful), but I have not tried either. Rear tilts are important when one points the camera down or up and you want to keep the film plane perpendicular to the ground).

The great thing about rear rise and fall is that for landscapes in particular, you can so easily move the horizon line which IME is critical for realizing best composition. It also reduces need to point the camera down or up and modify the rear tilt, a 2 step process vs 1 step rise/fall. Rather moving the camera and tripod to the left or right to obtain refined vertical borders, rear shift allows easy corrections. Just my experience.,
    Rear swing does not create distortion. But just like rear tilt it controls subject shape.

Right Bob, rear swing changes object shapes whereas front swing does not.

I manage to move the horizon line around in my images just fine with front rise/fall. Really, it's the same thing for the most part as rear rise/fall would be unless you're working really close and parallax becomes an issue. I agree, though, rise/fall on at least the front is really necessary.

As for rear swing: I use it all the time when working with buildings (cityscapes or architectural work). It's useful for refining the way horizontal lines are rendered. I can tweak them back parallel with just a bit of swing, or do the opposite and accentuate the convergence; it's all in the position of the back relative to that façade.

FWIW, all my cameras have rear swing and tilt; just no rise/fall. Even my lightweight monorails don't have rear rise/fall (Alpina and GVII).

Doremus

One might also keep in mind that turning a 4x5 camera on its side on a sturdy tripod and head can provide movements you didn’t think your camera had.

For example, turn my 4x5 Tachi on its side, and presto:

• Front rise/fall converts to front shift
    • Front swing converts to front axial tilt
    • Back swing converts to back axial tilt

My Tachi’s manual doesn’t acknowledge these movements, but I do!

You do what you have to do. One of John Sexton’s most well known pictures was made with the view camera upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    One might also keep in mind that turning a 4x5 camera on its side on a sturdy tripod and head can provide movements you didn’t think your camera had.

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    I manage to move the horizon line around in my images just fine with front rise/fall. Really, it's the same thing for the most part as rear rise/fall would be unless you're working really close and parallax becomes an issue. I agree, though, rise/fall on at least the front is really necessary.

As for rear swing: I use it all the time when working with buildings (cityscapes or architectural work). It's useful for refining the way horizontal lines are rendered. I can tweak them back parallel with just a bit of swing, or do the opposite and accentuate the convergence; it's all in the position of the back relative to that façade.

FWIW, all my cameras have rear swing and tilt; just no rise/fall. Even my lightweight monorails don't have rear rise/fall (Alpina and GVII).

Doremus
    Agreed in the front standard rise and fall. For me, once I set my front tilt and or swing, particularly with longer lenses, I default to rear rise/fall to avoid the arm stretch but also to avoid having to readjust front tilt/swing.

Your experience with back swing would be quite instructional if you you provide an example?

Ingenious but I dare say a bit awkward.

And that makes the camera yaw free when used on it’s side as then the swing is beneath the tilt.