Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What’s your most “unpopular” opinion about LF?

Re: What’s your most “unpopular” opinion about LF?

That theoretical diffraction limitation does not really become evident (even in very large prints) until apertures of at least one stop smaller (and sometimes two stops) than those commonly "acknowledged" on most forums, including this one.

To the extent that diffraction might be measured scientifically does not always equate to visible results.

Moreover, I feel that it is the quality of the lens itself, in terms of design, and execution of manufacture (grinding, coating, accuracy of element centering, etc.) plus the overall history and condition of a particular lens, which may or may not leave it vulnerable to displaying actually visible effects of diffraction much sooner than would be noticed in a "better" lens.

In other words (for example) - not all 120mm LF lenses are equal at F/45!

There...I said it...whew!

Niels

Spotmeters are overrated.
    ----
    Niels

Yep - that's what they say about antiques - we care for them for the next generation.
    They can be functional or / and beautiful or /and carefully crafted which all adds to appreciation.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Sure an LF camera is a tool to be used, but I view the older wooden cameras heirlooms to be conserved for the future use of others. My view is that we do not actually own that Ansco, 2D or 'Dorff. In my view we should consider ourselves to be stewards of a photographic instrument that will never be made again. Yes, there are current production view cameras, but that B&J, grey painted and clunky or that Kodak or Ansco with awkward or limited movements are usable antiques. My Eastman View No. 2D was crafted before I was born. Thes older view cameras to be used and maintained fro photographers, perhaps not yet born. The 2D? I just have it on loan for these few years.

That's why I've found it's good to try something to see how it works out - as you may be presently surprised as I have when the theory or opinion does not show up in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    That theoretical diffraction limitation does not really become evident (even in very large prints) until apertures of at least one stop smaller (and sometimes two stops) than those commonly "acknowledged" on most forums, including this one.

To the extent that diffraction might be measured scientifically does not always equate to visible results.

Moreover, I feel that it is the quality of the lens itself, in terms of design, and execution of manufacture (grinding, coating, accuracy of element centering, etc.) plus the overall history and condition of a particular lens, which may or may not leave it vulnerable to displaying actually visible effects of diffraction much sooner than would be noticed in a "better" lens.

In other words (for example) - not all 120mm LF lenses are equal at F/45!

There...I said it...whew!

Most 'Museum quality' LF cameras are garbage if in a museum.
    Tin Can

I think Sillverfast and Vuescan are overrated and not worth the money. Stick with free Epsonscan.

As a 4x5 landscape lens, the Schneider 150mm g-claron performs beautifully wider than f/22, even producing lovely bokeh at its widest (f/9) for closer shots.

Quote Originally Posted by nitroplait View Post
    Spotmeters are overrated.
    As are focus cloths, meters in general, tripod heads, loupes, and lens shades. And usually the photographer...
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Here's an admission...that, depending on the nature of light and subject matter, there are times when the image on my (Maxwell) GG is so bright and "snappy" that I absolutely do not need a focussing cloth - but I will use it anyway to avoid looking like a total noob!

There...I said that also...whew! (thanks Vaughn!)

ps...although maybe a dark cloth also helps to keep me from getting distracted by other stuff happening around me - some of which might be lethal! (true story which I will share sometime)

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Here's an admission...that, depending on the nature of light and subject matter, there are times when the image on my (Maxwell) GG is so bright and "snappy" that I absolutely do not need a focussing cloth - but I will use it anyway to avoid looking like a total noob!

There...I said that also...whew! (thanks Vaughn!)

ps...although maybe a dark cloth also helps to keep me from getting distracted by other stuff happening around me - some of which might be lethal! (true story which I will share sometime)
    One warm December day, I decided to stay out and photograph the rising lunar eclipse in Saguaro National Park while wearing shorts and a light shirt. The wool cap I kept stashed in my camera bag, my 'heavy' Calument darkcloth around my shoulders, and dancing around between exposures is what kept me warm. Hey...here is a free idea that someone might make a few bucks on. A Gortex, insulated darkcloth with a slit in the middle to wear as an emeregency poncho. Invest now and you'll have something to keep you warm when you lose your shirt.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China