Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What’s your most “unpopular” opinion about LF?

Re: What’s your most “unpopular” opinion about LF?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Deana Lawson's work could be done with any digital camera or film camera, her work is much about expressive content. Using a view camera is part of performance art as a means to engage the humanity she is working with.

~This is not new, it has been done over the long history of photography. Deana Lawson's work should be a reminder of the Importance of expressive image content in place of technical "perfection".

Bernice
    I wonder if using a LF camera makes it seem the photographer is giving special attention to their work? That they're serious about what they're doing. That helps the subjects be more serious as well in responding more expressively.

Monorail cameras are too heavy and wood folders are better for use in the field
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Oh boy, does that ring true for me!

I remember working in the Steens Mt. area in Oregon once when a group of photography students from the University of Oregon came by with their Holgas and digicams (with their instructor too, I might add). They though I was out of earshot, but I could clearly hear the disparaging remarks from, "what a dinosaur," "who does he think he is anyway, Ansel Adams?" etc., etc. I'm still angry.

Doremus
    Most regular people don't act that way. I've found they're interested in what I'm doing. Often excited and very curious. Of course, they may go home and tell their friends about the old photographer they saw on the trail. But I am an old photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    It works the other way too.

I was once at the famous GOOSENECKS overlook in Utah -- very very early one morning. Trying to get a shot under the perfect sunrise. I was all alone -- or so I thought. A little old lady came up from behind and asked, "Are you Ansel Adams?"

She was NOT kidding.
    You had to say "Yes." You would have made her day. What's wrong with you?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    You had to say "Yes." You would have made her day. What's wrong with you?
    I never said that I denied being Mr. Adams.

I can remember the first time I had my first (giant, DIY sliding-box) 11x14 camera out on location at Pemaquid Point, Maine. Boy, what a bear even then...getting this thing, along with my Quick-Set "Gibraltar" tripod out onto the rocks!

At any rate...it wasn't long after I'd gotten it set up that another gentleman of about my age (mid-30's at that time), approached me and just gave me the business...as in, "what...you think that you are taking the worlds best photograph? Who do you think you are, anyway?" and he went on and on like this, would not leave me alone - could not believe it!

multiplex

Don't oil paint artists decide where to put the subject effectively deciding which lens angle to use? Sculptors? Why should photographers have any less choice?
    plenty of painters and sculptors don't pre visualize ... Because of "free will" ..

I wonder if using a LF camera makes it seem the photographer is giving special attention to their work? That they're serious about what they're doing. That helps the subjects be more serious as well in responding more expressively.
    I think anyone who considers themself a "photographer" gives special attention to their work, including people who use cellphones ( and 100 years ago brownies and folders &c) people who don't use a light meter, don't pre visualize and who shoot sheet film from the hip.

( no rules )

Depth perspective was first used in the 14th century by several European artists and was used extensively during the Renaissance. But the artists are not necessarily using a perspective that adheres to a specific lens AOV. The portrait of a person may have a perspective in a “normal” range while the background may suggest a super wide angle. Take Da Vinci’s Mona Lisa for example where this is pretty obvious. There is no lens that can simultaneously produce her portrait without any linear distortion where the background is a cityscape.

Freedom to create comes from discipline which means initially limiting choices but “breaking out” as vision and skill mature. You have to take years of boring piano lessons to play Bach’s Goldberg Variations. Too many examples in history which support the idea that freedom is creating within a discipline - breaking the rules without breaking the law, so to speak.

Ideally photography should not confine itself to a self absorbing hobby but a way of communicating something individual about the subject and the photographer. .

Quote Originally Posted by pdmoylan View Post
    ...photography should not confine itself to a self absorbing hobby but a way of communicating something individual about the subject and the photographer. .
    Aw, you're full 'o should.

How about "photography SHOULD be fun!!!"