Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: What’s your most “unpopular” opinion about LF?

Re: What’s your most “unpopular” opinion about LF?

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post

Here’s one of mine to start!

"Not using a viewing card is the most common reason forum members miss a better composition."

Is that what they used to use in the old days before smartphones?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2022-05-13 at 10.42.01 PM (1).jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	227258
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I shoot almost all my 4x5 with a 150 lens. I can't tell what posts are sarcasm or not.
    Yeah -- some folks seem to be sliding into sarcasm, but I'm going with what the OP asked for -- one's own beliefs/opinions about LF that are not popular with other LF'ers. 150mm on 4x5 is sweet.

Actually, my favorite opinion that does not fly well here is that focal length determines perspective. Simply because to get a specific image the focal length of the lens determines where one sets up the camera for that image, and since position of the camera gives you a certain perspective, focal length thus determines that perspective. Seems logical to me; if Y, then X. If X then Z. Therefore if Y, then Z.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Well, mine doesn't have a slit, but fills all the other requirements. Home made, white GoreTex on the outside (waterproof, reflectant and cool in the sun), black and non-slip on the inside with Velcro all around the edges so I can make a poncho easily (or a Superman cape, or whatever...). Not insulated, per se, but two layers and thick.

As for my "unpopular" opinions (most of which have been expressed here before):

"Technique" for its own sake is pointless - the most important thing in any photography is what we point the camera at. Our technique only needs to be as good as our vision.

The Zone System is really a tool for visualizing the final print, not for figuring exposure/development (though that gets included, of necessity).

As hard as we try to be precise about metering, developing, etc., the system is more forgiving that we give it credit for; the window to hit and still get a great print is pretty large. The number of good prints I have from technically "bad" negatives proves this (this doesn't mean we shouldn't try, though...)

The main advantage of LF photography is camera movements, not film size.

Metering through filters with a handheld meter is just fine and just as accurate as applying factors, more so if we test a bit and calibrate.

Viewing the image carefully on the ground glass is often not needed at all. Often I just make sure the image is all in there somewhere and focus on a couple pre-chosen points without ever seeing the image in its entirety on the ground glass.

Diffraction degradation is preferable to unwanted out-of-focus areas in just about every case. Quit worrying and just stop down if you need to!

Unless you have a huge camera, contact prints are just too small. 8x10 is just too small for a sweeping landscape. If you can't enlarge your 8x10 negative, get a bigger camera, or get a smaller one and an enlarger.

Lighter-weight tripods are just fine for larger cameras in most situations. As long as it doesn't collapse under the weight of the camera and will hold things still, there's no problem. Just don't photograph in windstorms and earthquakes and you'll be fine and your back will thank you for it.

Glass negative carriers are a PITA. I only use mine when I really need to.

... All for now

Doremus
    These are all very popular statements for me

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Yeah -- some folks seem to be sliding into sarcasm, but I'm going with what the OP asked for -- one's own beliefs/opinions about LF that are not popular with other LF'ers. 150mm on 4x5 is sweet.
    People here will notice my enthusiasm when I post images taken with my 150mm g-claron – it is a “sweet” lens indeed. And I mean not just the lens, but the FL.

Its normalcy often proves its superpower to me, even if others only see Clark Kent.

Actually, my favorite opinion that does not fly well here is that focal length determines perspective…
    I can see why your claim would cause tomatoes to be thrown! But your clarification might calm the crowds.

Which reminds me, describing what produces a change in (viewpoint) perspective is, I think, responsible for countless unpopular statements on this forum. Some right, some wrong. I remember one LFer who wouldn’t budge from his unpopular opinion that back shift changes perspective, even after pages of polite and eloquent replies that tried to show otherwise.

How do we know when to die

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    This has been my view on lenses especially for some years. We do not own these lenses, we are merely caretakers and we need to diligently preserve them for posterity. I also think we should pass them on before we die so they don't end up in dumpsters.
    Tin Can

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    How do we know when to die
    That is the crux of the matter. When is it time to let go? All I can say is that I'm not there yet.

"Pass them along before we die..." This resonates. Thinking about how much money I'd lost last year when I let my Hasselblad gear go to a dealer (a very reputable one...and no disrespect), it almost makes sense to just give this stuff away - but (and here's the rub that might make this yet another "unpopular" opinion)...this "free" gear should go to those who truly deserve it the most, with the methodology to make such an evaluation left up to the giver of the equipment. In my case I think it would amount to requiring an essay (in the case of a beginner), or maybe a project proposal from someone more "advanced" and needing specific gear (but who cannot otherwise afford it), along with some supporting documentation (and maybe photos) and proof of "need." Yeah...I know...this may seem a bit "power-trippy," but I would hate to just give truly high quality gear away to someone, for example, who just wanted it as "bling" and nothing else.

People gift LF to me now and then

I have given way more away

Yet ALL 'givens' from me to actual young photographers are now discarded

Since our end of life is unknown, we can wait and never see what happens, no hurry my friends

Tin Can

.. the focal length of the lens determines where one sets up the camera for that image...

Interesting. For me, it's the opposite -- where I set up the camera determines what focal length lens I will use.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Interesting. For me, it's the opposite -- where I set up the camera determines what focal length lens I will use.
    I think a lot has to do with how one approaches making images. Using only one lens per format for decades has trained me to make the most of my lens decisions prior to determining where the camera will be. One of many ways of working.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China