Thread: Light leaks

Light leaks

Hello,
    Just wanted to see if anyone could maybe help narrow down where this light leak could be coming from before I troubleshoot myself with more film.
    These are 5x7 negatives that I loaded in 1 film holder (1 sheet on both sides) and they both have the exact same light leak on the bottom of the negatives. I used the same lens for each photo and tray developed. Any clues?? Thanks so much!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1026.jpg   IMG_1027.jpg  

Re: Light leaks

A light leak would cause a darkened area in your negative, not a lighter area. It looks like something might be blocking light from hitting the film. Check inside the camera around the bellows near the where the film holder sits. Something protruding where it shouldn't be.

It's also possible that it's a shadow cast on your original scene, and not actually anything to do with your camera at all (unless, of course, it's the camera actually casting the shadow).

That is an image of the bed of your camera.

The front of the bed of the camera extended into the image area -- must have been a wide-angle lens.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Thanks to both of you! Vaughn, you're definitely right. It was taken with a 121mm with the front bed fully extended out. I appreciate your help! A little front rise next time..

Depending on the camera, it might be possible to move both the back and the front standard forward on the camera base. This moves the lens forward relative to the camera base and gets the base out of the photo.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Thanks for that tip, Vaughn. That would definitely be possible with the improved Seneca view that I shot this with--though the weight distribution on the tripod would have been poor. The lens also has plenty of coverage for a bit of rise. This is a camera that I won't really be using much in the future, but this was a great lesson regardless.

Yes, I see. I have a 5x7 Eastman View No.2. I have the sliding block they were designed with that helps to balance them easier (and stiffens up the camera at the hinge).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EV2_5x7a.jpg