Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linhof Kardan leveling tripod head 003668/90 questions

Linhof Kardan leveling tripod head 003668/90 questions

I just acquired a Linhof heavy duty leveling tripod head #003668/90 off the auction site. This is the head that is made to grip the dovetail on Kardan rail cameras like the GT,Master GTL,TE etc. Hopefully there is someone on this forum that has the same head that can answer my question. Is the left to right vertical leveling function supposed to be VERY VERY stiff or easy to move? Mine is almost impossible to move. Is it supposed to be greased with some really sticky/thick grease? I'm thinking this might be the problem. Any feedback from an actual user-owner of this head would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bibb in San Antonio,Texas

Re: Linhof Kardan leveling tripod head 003668/90 questions

I'm standing by to hear the responses on this, as I have the same head. It's working for me under a Master Kardan GTL in my tabletop studio, but I don't have any real instructions on how to use or maintain it. If anyone here on the Forum might have a pdf of an instruction sheet or manual for this item, could you please share it? Thanks in advance...
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    I'm standing by to hear the responses on this, as I have the same head. It's working for me under a Master Kardan GTL in my tabletop studio, but I don't have any real instructions on how to use or maintain it. If anyone here on the Forum might have a pdf of an instruction sheet or manual for this item, could you please share it? Thanks in advance...
    Thank you for the reply JMO. So if you are currently using this head, can you comment on the stiffness that I was referring to in my example? When you release the black lever on the rear of the head, does the vertical left/right leveling function move with little effort? Does yours have the grease I was describing? I have a 4x5 Kardan TE mounted to it.
    Thanks,

I assume you mean this head:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Tilt_Head.html

I have one--I came with an unrelated camera that someonehad adapted to it. The arcing "roll" motion was quite stiff on mine if I tried to move it without the camera loaded, but IIRC it was a bit better (but not light and smooth) once the camera was loaded because the height of the camera gave leverage. I "unadapted" the camera and use it on a different head, so the linhof head is in a drawer somewhere. It may be these need some lubricant somewhere, but I never tried that hard to make it usable.

Very smooth with the camera mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
    I assume you mean this head:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Tilt_Head.html

I have one--I came with an unrelated camera that someonehad adapted to it. The arcing "roll" motion was quite stiff on mine if I tried to move it without the camera loaded, but IIRC it was a bit better (but not light and smooth) once the camera was loaded because the height of the camera gave leverage. I "unadapted" the camera and use it on a different head, so the linhof head is in a drawer somewhere. It may be these need some lubricant somewhere, but I never tried that hard to make it usable.
    Thanks abruzzi. Yep, that's the head I have. Mine won't move at all without a camera on it. I'm thinking the grease has thickened from age and is causing the stiffness.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Very smooth with the camera mounted.

Thank you Bob. I was pretty sure the stiffness wasn't normal. The two arc shaped surfaces have a VERY sticky and thick grease between them. I suspect the grease is old and causing the problem. Do you recall if those two surfaces are supposed to be greased ? The reason I ask is that most of the Linhof large format gear I've used over the years uses very little grease if any at all.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by bibbt View Post
    Thank you Bob. I was pretty sure the stiffness wasn't normal. The two arc shaped surfaces have a VERY sticky and thick grease between them. I suspect the grease is old and causing the problem. Do you recall if those two surfaces are supposed to be greased ? The reason I ask is that most of the Linhof large format gear I've used over the years uses very little grease if any at all.

Thanks,
    No, they should not be greased. At most, a very thin coating of petroleum jelly.

I bought one of these new two years ago for use with my Technikardan 45S (using the 003853 Quick Change Plate). It does have a light film of grease on the side-to-side leveling surfaces. Without a camera mounted this side-to-side movement varies from impossible to pleasantly smooth and snug depending on where and how one pushes. Pushing on either side on the top flat, well it won't move. Applying pressure on the beveled side of the top and trying to apply this pressure in the direction of the arc of movement then I can get the smooth snug movement. As Bob says, moves nicely with the camera mounted. BTW this movement is released with the black lever up, locked with it down.

The red lever locks the camera in the up position.

Mine came with a one page sheet in German. I don't read German but I don't think it has any user maintenance/lubrication instructions.

David

I just re-checked, mine does have a very thin film of lube. I expect this is best attended to by an authorized service center.

I'll try scanning my sheet and posting it. This will take a while.

David