Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linhof Kardan leveling tripod head 003668/90 questions

Re: Linhof Kardan leveling tripod head 003668/90 questions

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    No, they should not be greased. At most, a very thin coating of petroleum jelly.
    Thanks Bob,
    I appreciate the info. That's exactly what I needed to know.

Quote Originally Posted by David Lindquist View Post
    I bought one of these new two years ago for use with my Technikardan 45S (using the 003853 Quick Change Plate). It does have a light film of grease on the side-to-side leveling surfaces. Without a camera mounted this side-to-side movement varies from impossible to pleasantly smooth and snug depending on where and how one pushes. Pushing on either side on the top flat, well it won't move. Applying pressure on the beveled side of the top and trying to apply this pressure in the direction of the arc of movement then I can get the smooth snug movement. As Bob says, moves nicely with the camera mounted. BTW this movement is released with the black lever up, locked with it down.

The red lever locks the camera in the up position.

Mine came with a one page sheet in German. I don't read German but I don't think it has any user maintenance/lubrication instructions.

David
    David,
    Thank you for the detailed reply. This really confirms that mine is way to stiff. My gut was telling me I shouldn't have too wrestle with the camera to get this thing to easily move. The instruction sheet would be very nice.
    Thanks,
    Bibb on San Antonio,Texas

I seem to have successfully scanned my sheet on the Linhof 003667/003668. I have not been successful in posting the results. JMO and bibbt, I tried to send it to you via PM but can't see how to attach a file, be happy to try sending as an email, please PM me if wanted that way.

David

I purchased the GTL camera and the tripod head from Austin Calhoon at LAFLEX, and both were in perfect restored condition so I did not experience the difficulties you have described. I’m hoping for more information on how to adjust and use the tripod head…

Quote Originally Posted by bibbt View Post
    Thank you for the reply JMO. So if you are currently using this head, can you comment on the stiffness that I was referring to in my example? When you release the black lever on the rear of the head, does the vertical left/right leveling function move with little effort? Does yours have the grease I was describing? I have a 4x5 Kardan TE mounted to it.
    Thanks,
    Bibb in San Antonio,Texas
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo