Thread: E100 Color Problems

E100 Color Problems

Dear Forum,

I am writing to see if anyone else has had color issues with recent E100 in large format and even 120? I got my film back from the lab and it's extremely bluish and lacking the warmth of Ektachrome. I had 10+ year old Velvia processed at the same time and it looked normal.

Will post some examples soon.

John

Re: E100 Color Problems

Assuming nothing went wrong in the processing (based on your Velvia results), all I can think of is storage/shipping conditions prior to you initially receiving the film from your retailer. I don’t think there are any service bulletins regarding E100 but in any case I suggest you contact Kodak Alaris at ProFilm@Kodakalaris.com explaining the problem and providing them with the batch number (and possibly image examples).

Sorry this happened to you.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by johnmsanderson View Post
    Dear Forum,

I am writing to see if anyone else has had color issues with recent E100 in large format and even 120? I got my film back from the lab and it's extremely bluish and lacking the warmth of Ektachrome. I had 10+ year old Velvia processed at the same time and it looked normal.

Will post some examples soon.

John

IME the new Ektachrome is more neutral, and that means more blue. As with Provia, a warming filter can be your friend.

Drew Wiley

Their quality control seems to be better than ever. I've carefully tested E100, and it's spot on 5500 K daylight color balanced just like they claim. That has long been Kodak's standard for official daylight balanced films. Fuji is harder to pin down; but it's long been rumored that their "daylight" balance is 5200 K instead; and in some of my tests, it seems more like 5000K. So of course, Ektachrome comes out bluer. It's supposed to. ...

But "extremely bluish"? - whatever that means. Unless the shot was taken in deep blue shade under an open blue sky, I'd suspect a processing error. Do you own a color temp meter and have some warming correction filters to do careful tests?

Here's a comparison of 4x5 Ektachrome and Provia. Both shot in overcast skies. Ektachrome reds seem redder and Provia seems more orange. Greens are different as well. How would you describe the difference?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Combo after of both 1200 Dey.jpg  

Hello Alan

Thanks for the comparison. Yeah, that looks nothing like my current batch of E100. How recent was this comparison done?

The one's we've had done recently (two other friends are having the same issue, both using E100 and the same lab) would look something like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gc64yv7g copy.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	227189

Here are the scans before any edits in Lightroom. I only adjusted levels for the scan. The earlier comparison post had Lightroom edits as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wheels coimparison.  Levels adjusted in scan.  No post scan edits.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Here's a comparison of 4x5 Ektachrome and Provia. Both shot in overcast skies. Ektachrome reds seem redder and Provia seems more orange. Greens are different as well. How would you describe the difference?
    Here's the earlier post again with the edits I made in Lightroom as well as the Levels during the scan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Combo after of both 1200 Dey.jpg   Lightroom edits.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by johnmsanderson View Post
    Hello Alan

Thanks for the comparison. Yeah, that looks nothing like my current batch of E100. How recent was this comparison done?

The one's we've had done recently (two other friends are having the same issue, both using E100 and the same lab) would look something like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gc64yv7g copy.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	227189
    Your Ektachrome version definitely looks off. I received the boxes of Ektachrome E100 and Provia 100F 4x5 film in Nov 2020 from B&H. My film was developed in an outside lab in June 2021.