Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice on 120mm lenses

Seeking advice on 120mm lenses

I currently own a Fuji W 125/5.6 and a Schneider Super Angulon 120/8 and I'm looking for a 120mm lens that's sharper than the Fuji and smaller/lighter than the Super Angulon. I'm not saying that the Fuji lens is not sharp(ish)...just not as sharp as the Super Angulon, IMO. I've been looking at the Schneider APO Symmar 120/5.6. Any opinions on where this lens would fall in regard to sharpness and overall rendering compared to the aforementioned lenses? Any other options I should consider in this range? Again, in comparison to the two I already own. Also, since I'm trying to keep the budget reasonable something like the Schneider Super Symmar HM 120mm is beyond my reach.

Thank you for any advice/opinions shared.

Re: Seeking advice on 120mm lenses

Have you tried a Schneider Angulon, not Super? Small, low cost and sharp enough for me.

I have not used the Schneider 120 mm SA, but I used to own an Apo Symmar 120mm / 5.6 and thought that it was one of the sharpest lenses that I owned. I only sold it because I carried it around and didn’t seem to need the focal length with 4x5 and it didn’t cover 5x7.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    I currently own a Fuji W 125/5.6 and a Schneider Super Angulon 120/8 and I'm looking for a 120mm lens that's sharper than the Fuji and smaller/lighter than the Super Angulon. I'm not saying that the Fuji lens is not sharp(ish)...just not as sharp as the Super Angulon, IMO.

Just to help with recommendations, were there consistent shooting circumstances under which your Fuji 125mm/5.6 didn’t look "sharpish"? For example, with wider apertures, narrow apertures, close subjects, far subjects, corner issues, etc. I’m also curious if you have the oldest pre-EBC version with 46mm front threads. I used to own the 55mm front thread (EBC) version and I loved it in all types of landscape circumstances. I sold it since it was so close in FL to my 110mm, but it was always just as sharp as far as I could tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Have you tried a Schneider Angulon, not Super? Small, low cost and sharp enough for me.
    I have a 90mm Schneider Angulon that I've used occasionally on 4x5, but the corners are pretty soft. If it was just a bit of the corners it wouldn't bother me, but the soft area cuts a pretty wide swath; at least, with the version I own. And, one of the reasons I've never pursued the 165 Angulon for my 8x10.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Just to help with recommendations, were there consistent shooting circumstances under which your Fuji 125mm/5.6 didn’t look "sharpish"? For example, with wider apertures, narrow apertures, close subjects, far subjects, corner issues, etc. I’m also curious if you have the oldest pre-EBC version with 46mm front threads. I used to own the 55mm front thread (EBC) version and I loved it in all types of landscape circumstances. I sold it since it was so close in FL to my 110mm, but it was always just as sharp as far as I could tell.
    My typical subjects are general landscape and outdoor scenes. I've shot LF for 40+ years and try to be very careful with technique. My Fuji 125mm is the older single coated lens with inside lettering.

I would choose the newest 125mm Fujinon-W I can afford.
    My 120mm Super-symmar HM is the widest of the f5.6 with the 67mm-filter-thread CM Fujinon-W on next place. If 67mm do not fit with the rest of lenses, choose an less new.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    I used to own the 55mm front thread (EBC) version and I loved it in all types of landscape circumstances. I sold it since it was so close in FL to my 110mm, but it was always just as sharp as far as I could tell.
    I too have the EBC 125mm NW f5.6, and think it's great. You might try that, but be aware that it came with THREE different front threads -- 46mm, 52mm (what I have), and 55mm. Otherwise they are the same, but the lens is marked "W" on the OUTSIDE of the barrel.

Another option is the newer 125mm CM-W f5.6. It's a 6/5 design -- unlike the 6/6 of the NW version -- but has a slightly larger IC, a much larger filter thread (67mm), and higher price.

I personally settled on acquiring a Nikon Wide Angle 120mm f/8 Nikkor-SW Lens with Copal #0 Shutter. For some reason they seemed to be undervalued when compared to a Schneider. I just waited a few months for one to come along at a price I couldn't pass up on. It replaced a 105mm f/8 Fujinon SW which I found to be just a tad bit too wide for the subject matter that I was shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslolens View Post
    I would choose the newest 125mm Fujinon-W I can afford.
    My 120mm Super-symmar HM is the widest of the f5.6 with the 67mm-filter-thread CM Fujinon-W on next place...
    I own several of the older single-coated Fujinon W lenses. While no slouches near their axes, none are outstandingly sharp off axis. I've never had a 120 Super Symmar HM, so can't comment on that one, but do own a 135mm CM Fujinon W, which is the sharpest 135 I ever used, with the largest image circle to boot. If the 125mm CM Fujinon W is anything like its 135mm sibling in that regard, and you've no hankering to spend around three times as much for a 120mm Super Symmar HM, I enthusiastically recommend the Fujinon.