Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Speed Lens" for RB Graflex Super D

"Speed Lens" for RB Graflex Super D

I have a Super D and love this camera. Mine is equipped with a 190 Ektar with AD. To my knowledge the only other AD lens was a 152 Ektar designed for the baby Graflex. Kodak did make some Anastigmats in 8-1/2" and 10" versions that were f 4.5 and available in barrels. I also happen to have a 15" Tele Optar that was fitted with a rather crude but effective diaphragm actuating lever that was fabricated out of brass and copper. Where the lever exits the camera, there is fitted an aluminum panel with apertures stamped into it and witness marks. About a year or two ago, I managed to acquire several mint 12 exposure bag mags for this camera (in original boxes, no less). I don't know if you have tried these yet, but they can be handy. Along with that acquisition, I managed to find a mint in the box 6x9 roll film adapter. That 190, btw is a wonderful lens.

Get a tripod, Frank. And a step ladder or soapbox to stand on so you can see down the chimney.

OT, can you visualize little crippled Dorothea Lange manhandling one of these to take most of her wonderful FSA pictures, including "Migrant Mother." And she didn't have an auto-diaphragm or Ektalite viewing glass!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I use a 210/3.5 Xenar with a B&J aftermarket coating on my 5x7" Press Graflex for low light. It just barely fits the lensboard and doesn't focus to infinity on the 5x7", but I just use that lens indoors.

Incidentally, Frank, you can probably get an extra stop or two of GG brightness by removing the GG and Ektalite screens and thoroughly but carefully cleaning them. The front surface silvered mirror used in the Super D is bound to be oxidized, but I have no idea how to clean it.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)