Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Which diameter filter

Re: Which diameter filter

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Other considerations is size, bulk, weight and all that. Knowing you're using Chamonix light weight field folder, this set up with the 90mm f4.5 plus center filter plus filter holder for graduated neutral density filter is approaching the mass/weight of the Chamonix camera bare.

Bernice
    We certainly have come a long way from Mario's original question:

What do you suggest as a diameter for filter? 86 or 82mm?

Thanks
    Mario

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Lee has a US office. They pay salary, rent, utilities, advertising, marketing, they inventory product, they support their local economy. So you blithely utilize their services and send U.s. customers to foreign dealers.
    I hope you are not one of those that bemoan the lack of U.S. photo dealers.
    Bob, I don't want to get into a debate about this, but I'm also not going to sit silent while you misrepresent what I said. Post #47 on my own purchases of Lee products, and how it handles support queries regardless of where the product was purchased, is crystal clear.

Now you've added the complaint, absent from your first attack, that I'm sending US buyers to non-US dealers. The two dealers that I'm talking about are significantly more knowledgeable about the Lee line than any US dealer that I've discussed Lee with. I also don't share your apparent preference that consumers be ignorant about price differences between dealers. On the contrary, I think that the more consumers know about pricing of a product the better, regardless of whether they are buying new or, as is often the case these days with photo gear, used.

In this very thread, I've already told the original European poster that there are noticeable differences in European and US pricing for Lee products. I'm now supposed to pretend that I didn't say that?

As for bemoaning a "lack of U.S. photo dealers", it's news to me that B&H and Adorama, the only U.S. dealers mentioned in this thread, are failing. Oh, and which two U.S. photo dealers built their companies on the sale of grey goods instead of adhering to your territorial view of the world?

This discussion is pointless. You are pursuing it because you come from an approach to marketing that is a study in obsolescence. How about we talk about the actual subject of the thread instead.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Suggestion would be 82mm for ease of availability, variety, cost -vs- actual filter performance and LOTs more. 86mm has always been a less common filter size, was used on Zeiss-Hasselblad and other less common lenses back then. To this day, most filters go from 82mm then 95mm often skipping 86mm.

That said, not a lot wrong with a good set of 82mm filters and step rings as needed for the other lenses as needed, and step rings are lower cost than good filters.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post

Thanks
    Mario

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Bob seems to be upset that you bothered Lee for information while buying from and/or recommending Filter Dude's cheaper alternatives.
    In fact, all of the Lee adapter rings that I own are Lee products with the exception of one that I purchased from Filter Dude. He offers one that was not available from Lee resellers at the time. I also draw the line at paying $143 for an adapter ring. If somebody wants a 105mm ring for a Lee holder, yup, I'm going to tell them that Filter Dude's is $118 cheaper. I'm not going to feel guilty about it either. Oh, and for Bob's edification, Filter Dude is an American business

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post

Alan Klein has raised a different question, which Bernice quoted and was addressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Suggestion would be 82mm for ease of availability, variety, cost -vs- actual filter performance and LOTs more. 86mm has always been a less common filter size, was used on Zeiss-Hasselblad and other less common lenses back then. To this day, most filters go from 82mm then 95mm often skipping 86mm.

That said, not a lot wrong with a good set of 82mm filters and step rings as needed for the other lenses as needed, and step rings are lower cost than good filters.

Bernice
    Thanks to everyone for the recommendation.
    I have found 3 filters B+W 82mm from Germany
    MRC yellow (020),
    MRC orange (040) and
    MRC red (090)
    for about 300€ total.
    The yellow-green is available only from Hoya HMC for 42€.
    I already have all the step-up ring for 82mm.

My point is that for sure I will be able to use the circle filter 82mm with compendium but not sure I can use 100x100 filter.

Mario
    Mario

Excellent_!_

B+W (now part of Schneider) has produce high quality filters for a very long time. Not just the glass and optical quality, their holders are made of brass making then remarkably durable and lasting, trade off being weight. Hoya HMC are also very good.

These are the most often used B&W contrast filter set. Do consider adding a Polarizer and various Neutral Density filters as these two are basic filters types for a variety of image making needs. Reducing glare reflection, intensifying the sky and lots more are some of the image aids a polarizing filter can offer. Neutral density filters can be used to increase shutter speed allowing larger lens apertures to be used at slower shutter speeds or increasing shutter speed to gain the impression of flowing motion in a given image. ND filters used to increase shutter time can also be used to exclude moving objects like pedestrians in a given image.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ND_filters.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	227161

"Big Stopper" ND1000 filters that can attenuate light by 10 f-stops or more (modern ND filters go past ND1000) have become common and easily available today, consider the creative image possibilities with shutter speeds down to seconds and more.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Fermat View Post
    MRC yellow (020),
    MRC orange (040) and
    MRC red (090)
    for about 300€ total.

My point is that for sure I will be able to use the circle filter 82mm with compendium but not sure I can use 100x100 filter.

Mario

MRC yellow (020),
    MRC orange (040) and
    MRC red (090)
    for about 300€ total.

I have the same 82mm filters with one possible difference. My yellow B+W is 022. I didn't know that B+W makes a 020, or is that a typo? My yellow-green Hoya is HMC X0.

Typo.
    The correct one is 022.

Mario
    Mario

Typo.
    The correct one is 022.

Mario
    I started to standardise around 82mm because I needed to do it for video, but I think that 82mm is also a good size for large format photography. You're covered for most lenses and for ready availability of step-up rings. It will only be problematic if you get it into your head to buy a lens that takes 95mm filters, or that requires a centre filter that has an outside thread for 86mm or larger add-on filters.

I don't know about others, but the reality is that I've "standardised" more than once. The first time that I did it, a long time ago for a Leica M3, turned out not to be the last. For me, standardisation has slowed down, but hasn't stopped, the accumulation of filters.

A few months ago, I acquired a Schneider Kreuznach lens that, with centre filter, requires 112mm filters
    Last edited by r.e.; 9-May-2022 at 04:43.