Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Which diameter filter

Re: Which diameter filter

There was a time years ago when B&W contrast filters in ALL sizes were vast bargains... not any more. Those days have passed.
    That was a time when 103mm Sinar B&W contrast filter set with polarizer and holder could be had for less than $100 USD, B&W contrast filters made by B+W, Heilopan, and similar up to 105mm was easy for well under $50.

Add to this, with the demise of film, 100mm square filters (Hi-Tech, Sinar, what became Lee) where being closed out at about $1 per filter... There was a VAST inventory of them, little if any demand for them at that time.

Not any more, change is a given, change is constant.
    Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    There are lots of 95mm UV/Protective filters for under $25, but for typical large format filters, like O2, K2, 25A, you are lucky if you find one for $75. On the other hand, in 77mm they are easy to find well under $25.

Just want to express thanks to Bernice for the overviews in her posts #29 and #31.

Bob Salomon might know better, but I suspect that the market for square and rectangular filters has grown significantly with the huge increase in the number of people shooting video. I'm talking about increased demand for neutral density filters and polarisers in particular, as well as specialty diffusion filters. A search for "matte box" on YouTube turns up hundreds of videos.

When it comes to 100㎟ filters, I'm most familiar with Lee filters, but there are a number of competitors. This filter size is available in both synthetics and glass, depending on manufacturer. Lee also makes a lens shade for its Lee100 System. It is not inexpensive, but works very well. As I mentioned earlier, Lee prices in Europe, where Mario is, are noticeably lower than in North America. There's also a Lee push-on holder, useful for large format lenses, that is available in Europe but as far as I can tell not in North America.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    There are lots of 95mm UV/Protective filters for under $25, but for typical large format filters, like O2, K2, 25A, you are lucky if you find one for $75. On the other hand, in 77mm they are easy to find well under $25.
    Like I said, I just bought a 95mm R25 filter for $10 last week (high-quality Pentax brand). Deals are available.

67mm and 77mm are certainly more common, yes.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Anyone heard of or use Ice filters? WHich adapter for 105mm center filter lens.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ....html/overview

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Lee Filters makes a 105mm adapter ring for its Lee100/Lee150 Systems. See screen capture. Some of its competitors also make a 105mm adapter. As far as I know, that's the largest adapter size available for holders for 100mm/150mm size filters. Filter Dude in Pennsylvania sells copies of Lee adapter rings at a lower price than Lee, including a 105mm.

I don't know anything about ICE filters, except that they're a house brand for a company called Desmond Photographic in Oregon. Maybe have a look at the Desmond Photographic website. It's a distributor for a number of brands, including filter makers Haida, Kase and Lūzid.

Lee Standard & Wide Angle Adapter Rings

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2022-05-07 at 12.37.42 PM.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	227120

Filter Dude 105mm Adapter Ring

Name:	Screenshot 2022-05-07 at 1.07.15 PM.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	227124
    Last edited by r.e.; 7-May-2022 at 13:50.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Lee Filters makes a 105mm adapter ring for its Lee100 System. See screen capture. Some of its competitors also make a 105mm adapter. As far as I know, that's the largest adapter size available for holders for 100mm size filters. Filter Dude in Pennsylvania sells copies of Lee adapter rings at a lower price than Lee, including a 105mm.

I don't know anything about ICE filters, except that they're a house brand for a company called Desmond Photographic in Oregon. Maybe have a look at the Desmond Photographic website. It's a distributor for a number of brands, including filter makers Haida, Kase and Lūzid.

Lee Standard & Wide Angle Adapter Rings

Name:	Screenshot 2022-05-07 at 12.37.42 PM.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	227120

Filter Dude 105mm Adapter Ring for Lee100 Filter Holder

Name:	Screenshot 2022-05-07 at 1.07.15 PM.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	227124
    But won't the 100mm filters vignette?

ICE is one of a large number of current filter brands selling-marketing filters made under contract-agreement. LOTs of filter brands today doing similar, this illustrates to some degree the market size and demand for image making filters.

Most common filter types today are UV or lens protector, Polarizer, Neutral Density followed by "effects" filters. Much of the filter market is in cinema and video production.

Graduated neutral density or colored filters are often used to alter the image density (light intensity) of a specific area of the image. These filters are in the category of effects filters. They are not the same as "center filters" specifically designed to compensate for light fall off of "Biogon_ish" wide angle lens designs. Graduated density filters are usually rectangular, go into a filter holder that allows the filter to be moved up-down and rotated as needed to achieve the image effect.

Bernice

But won't the 100mm filters vignette?
    The alternative is a Lee150 holder, which is for 150mm square/rectangular filters, or an equivalent holder and adapter ring from another manufacturer. I've amended my post #35 to reflect this.

However, 150mm filters are quite a bit more expensive than 100mm filters. I would want to try a 100mm filter with the specific lens to see whether there's vignetting and, if so, by how much. Lee and others are presumably selling this size adapter ring for use with 100mm filters because it works in some cases. I have a Fujinon ciné lens that is rated for 82mm filters but works without vignetting with 82mm and 77mm filters.

Your lens presumably requires either 86mm or 95mm for a filter, including your centre filter, mounted directly to the lens. The centre filter's 105mm outside thread might provide some latitude. How much might depend in part on how wide your lens is. Note that Lee says that its "standard" adapter rings, as distinct from its "wide angle adapter rings", are for lenses that are 24-28mm and up in 35mm terms.

Filter size, it appears, is not solely about optical requirements. I think that the reason that my Fujinon lens is threaded for 82mm filters, even though it will work with a step-down ring and 77mm filters, is that 82mm is pretty much the standard ciné lens size for circular filters. Filmmakers are set up for 82mm, not 77mm. It's possible that your centre filter is threaded for 105mm, not because 105mm is absolutely required, but because standard filter sizes run 86mm, 95mm, 105mm. I assume that your lens, without a centre filter mounted, takes either 86mm or 95mm. Next stop after those is 105mm.
    Last edited by r.e.; 7-May-2022 at 15:49.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    The alternative is a Lee150 holder, which is for 150mm square/rectangular filters, or an equivalent holder and adapter ring from another manufacturer. I've amended my post #35 to reflect this.

However, 150mm filters are quite a bit more expensive than 100mm filters. I would want to try a 100mm filter with the specific lens to see whether there's vignetting and, if so, by how much. Lee and others are presumably selling this size adapter ring for use with 100mm filters because it works in some cases. I have a Fujinon ciné lens that is rated for 82mm filters but works without vignetting with 82mm and 77mm filters.

Your lens presumably requires either 86mm or 95mm for a filter, including your centre filter, mounted directly to the lens. The centre filter's 105mm outside thread might provide some latitude. How much might depend in part on how wide your lens is. Note that Lee says that its "standard" adapter rings, as distinct from its "wide angle adapter rings", are for lenses that are 24-28mm and up in 35mm terms.

Filter size, it appears, is not solely about optical requirements. I think that the reason that my Fujinon lens is threaded for 82mm filters, even though it will work with a step-down ring and 77mm filters, is that 82mm is pretty much the standard ciné lens size for circular filters. Filmmakers are set up for 82mm, not 77mm. It's possible that your centre filter is threaded for 105mm, not because 105mm is absolutely required, but because standard filter sizes run 86mm, 95mm, 105mm. I assume that your lens, without a centre filter mounted, takes either 86mm or 95mm. Next stop after those is 105mm.
    Thanks for the info. The attached pictures shows the arrangement for my Nikkor 90mm f/4.5 used for 4x5 camera. So it appears I need a 150mm adj ND adapter and filter. I would use contrast filters in the larger size too as well as polarizer. I also use a 75mm lens currently without a center filter that allows me to add the 77mm contrast and adj ND filters I have with an adapter. So the question is I may have an overkill situation. If I need a filter, I use the 75mm but currently have no center filter. If I don;t need a filter, than I could use the 90mm with center filter that I have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200316_114706 reduced with sizes.jpg   20200316_114607 reduced with sizes.jpg  

Thanks for the info. The attached pictures shows the arrangement for my Nikkor 90mm f/4.5 used for 4x5 camera. So it appears I need a 150mm adj ND adapter and filter. I would use contrast filters in the larger size too as well as polarizer. I also use a 75mm lens currently without a center filter that allows me to add the 77mm contrast and adj ND filters I have with an adapter. So the question is I may have an overkill situation. If I need a filter, I use the 75mm but currently have no center filter. If I don;t need a filter, than I could use the 90mm with center filter that I have.
    Since you are using a wa lens be aware, that you will get streaking in the skies with a polarizer and a wa lens.