Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Which diameter filter

Re: Which diameter filter

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Thanks for the info. The attached pictures shows the arrangement for my Nikkor 90mm f/4.5 used for 4x5 camera. So it appears I need a 150mm adj ND adapter and filter. I would use contrast filters in the larger size too as well as polarizer. I also use a 75mm lens currently without a center filter that allows me to add the 77mm contrast and adj ND filters I have with an adapter. So the question is I may have an overkill situation. If I need a filter, I use the 75mm but currently have no center filter. If I don;t need a filter, than I could use the 90mm with center filter that I have.
    I'd think twice about buying a Lee holder and filters for a single lens.

I also think you'll find it no more expensive, and probably less expensive, to purchase 105mm round filters second hand than to invest in a filter holder and square/rectangular filters, and that you'll also find round filters more convenient if they're what you use except in this one instance. The caveat is that you have to go the rectangular route if you want to use graduated neutral density filters.

I would definitely try a 100mm filter holder and filters before I'd go to 150mm. A 150mm holder and filters are going to cost you more, indeed quite a bit more, than buying 105mm filters second hand.

You could also have used a Rodenstock 82mm centre filter with your 90mm lens. The Rodenstock's outside thread is 112mm, which just underscores the fact that you can wind up with an outside filter size that is larger than your lens necessarily needs.

I would not assume that a lens that takes 82mm filters actually requires, when a centre filter is used, 105mm filters to prevent vignetting, and that a 100mm square filter won't work.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Since you are using a wa lens be aware, that you will get streaking in the skies with a polarizer and a wa lens.
    Yes I:m aware of the sky issue. But a polarizer also removes reflections and darkens green grass and leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    I'd think twice about buying a Lee holder and filters for a single lens.

I also think you'll find it no more expensive, and probably less expensive, to purchase 105mm round filters second hand than to invest in a filter holder and square/rectangular filters, and that you'll also find round filters more convenient, especially if you use them except in this one instance. The caveat is that you have to go the rectangular route if you want to use graduated neutral density filters.

I would definitely try a 100mm filter holder and filters before I'd go to 150mm. A 150mm holder and filters are going to cost you more, indeed quite a bit more, than buying 105mm filters second hand.

You could also have used a Rodenstock 82mm centre filter with your 90mm lens. The Rodenstock's outside thread is 112mm, which just underscores the fact that you can wind up with an outside filter size that is larger than your lens necessarily needs.

I would not assume that a lens that takes 82mm filters actually requires, when a centre filter is used, 105mm filters to prevent vignetting, and that a 100mm square filter won't work.

Good points especially your last one, bolded. The problem is how to verify it.

Good points especially your last one, bolded. The problem is how to verify it.
    You live near New York City. Sounds like time to take your camera for a visit to B&H or Adorama. In addition to new product, their Used Departments may have all or most of the components, by Lee or your preferred competitor, needed to test. Alternatively, both stores have 30 day, no questions asked, return policies. If you ultimately decide to buy into the Lee System, note the reference to Filter Dude adapter rings in post #35.

Alan, an additional comment on Lee adapter rings...

The U.S. price for a Lee 105mm adapter ring is a staggering $143. Filter Dude's 105mm ring is $25, and his copies (Lee does not have a patent on these) aren't junk. Also, note that Lee's rings are described on sites like B&H as being for the "Foundation" system, which has been discontinued. I don't know why this hasn't been fixed. As Lee's US office has confirmed to me, these are the right adapter rings for the newer Lee100 System. There has been no change to the adapter ring design.

Send me a personal message if you want the names of a couple of good European dealers in Lee products for price comparison purposes.

Alan, an additional comment on Lee adapter rings...

The U.S. price for a Lee 105mm adapter ring is a staggering $143. Filter Dude's 105mm ring is $25, and his copies (Lee does not have a patent on these) aren't junk. Also, note that Lee's rings are described on sites like B&H as being for the "Foundation" system, which has been discontinued. I don't know why this hasn't been fixed. As Lee's US office has confirmed to me, these are the right adapter rings for the newer Lee100 System. There has been no change to the adapter ring design.

Send me a personal message if you want the names of a couple of good European dealers in Lee products for price comparison purposes.
    So, if you aren’t going to support them, why do you bother the U.S. office with your questions? That just helps to build up their costs!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    So, if you aren’t going to support them, why do you bother the U.S. office with your questions? That just helps to build up their costs!
    Lee is a UK company. I regularly spend time in the UK, indeed on the Isle of Wight which is a short distance from Lee's headquarters, and in the US, and have bought Lee products in both countries. A support query automatically goes to support staff in whichever country one is in at the time of the request. It has nothing to do with where the product was purchased. If I'm in the US and I have a question about a Lee product that I bought in the UK, it is not even possible to contact UK support via e-mail. The e-mail is automatically routed to Los Angeles. And vice versa. Your problem is what, exactly?

Lee is a UK company. I regularly spend time in the UK, indeed on the Isle of Wight which is a short distance from Lee's headquarters, and in the US, and have bought Lee products in both countries. A support query automatically goes to support staff in whichever country one is in at the time of the request. It has nothing to do with where the product was purchased. If I'm in the US and I have a question about a Lee product that I bought in the UK, it is not even possible to contact UK support via e-mail. The e-mail is automatically routed to Los Angeles. And vice versa. Your problem is what, exactly?
    Lee has a US office. They pay salary, rent, utilities, advertising, marketing, they inventory product, they support their local economy. So you blithely utilize their services and send U.s. customers to foreign dealers.
    I hope you are not one of those that bemoan the lack of U.S. photo dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e.;1643554... The e-mail is automatically routed to Los Angeles. And vice versa. [I
    Your problem is what, exactly?[/I]
    Bob seems to be upset that you bothered Lee for information while buying from and/or recommending Filter Dude's cheaper alternatives.

He doesn't seem to realize that it's not the consumers duty to keep companies in business, rather the businesses' duty to compete on the market for consumers. To do this, they have to be competitive in quality, price and supply. Informing customers about your products is called advertising. Customer service and inquiries about products fall into a similar category.

No one should expect a customer to buy a product that they simply inquired about...

Doremus

If a graduated neutral density filter is needed in conjunction with the light fall-off correction filter (center filter) DO consider and try using a 100mm sheet filter system first. It will likely work fine with this set up. Know going to the next sheet filter size up will inflict serious cost adders (easily double for the filter bits involved) to the entire filter system from holder to filters. Next industry standard sheet filter size up will be 125mm (not as common today) then 150mm which is $$$$_!_ for high quality filters.

Other considerations is size, bulk, weight and all that. Knowing you're using Chamonix light weight field folder, this set up with the 90mm f4.5 plus center filter plus filter holder for graduated neutral density filter is approaching the mass/weight of the Chamonix camera bare.

It is much about balancing need -vs- what is possible with the "gear" and work with it to achieve your image goals.

Bernice

Thanks for the info. The attached pictures shows the arrangement for my Nikkor 90mm f/4.5 used for 4x5 camera. So it appears I need a 150mm adj ND adapter and filter. I would use contrast filters in the larger size too as well as polarizer. I also use a 75mm lens currently without a center filter that allows me to add the 77mm contrast and adj ND filters I have with an adapter. So the question is I may have an overkill situation. If I need a filter, I use the 75mm but currently have no center filter. If I don;t need a filter, than I could use the 90mm with center filter that I have.