Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which diameter filter

Drew Wiley

Re: Which diameter filter

It's awfully cumbersome to work with just the biggest size filter for everything. I personally have round glass filter sets in all the sizes you list because I never carry all my lenses at the same time, and lighter weight and portability is often a priority. You might want to think of two sets : 82mm with a 72mm step ring, and 67mm with a 52mm step ring. If only three filters are involved, it's not going to be terribly expensive to get a smaller second set, plus you'd have a spare if something gets damaged - and sooner or later they will.

Quote Originally Posted by Fermat View Post
    Rodenstock grandagon-n 90mm f4.5

Mario
    Hi Mario, I own this lens as well and I use it on 5x7 mostly and think that it is excellent although it is very heavy. That being said, if you are using this lens on 4x5 and don’t need the image circle that it has, there are many other excellent lenses in this focal length with smaller front elements that might fit with your other lenses a little more easily and save I bit of cash for big filters
    as well as space and weight. That’s all that I ment by “rethink your needs”.
    Conrad

Same here - have two sets: 49mm & 67mm
    Don't always need both sizes depending on what I plan to bring along.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    It's awfully cumbersome to work with just the biggest size filter for everything. I personally have round glass filter sets in all the sizes you list because I never carry all my lenses at the same time, and lighter weight and portability is often a priority. You might want to think of two sets : 82mm with a 72mm step ring, and 67mm with a 52mm step ring. If only three filters are involved, it's not going to be terribly expensive to get a smaller second set, plus you'd have a spare if something gets damaged - and sooner or later they will.

I have great filter set for my Mamiya RB67 mediu format camera. All their lenses take the same 77mm filter. When I bought a 4x5, I got step up adapters to 77mm and use the MF filters with the 4x5 lenses, except for my 90mm f4.5 which requires a 105mm over the center filter. I just havenl;t done anything with that one and will shoot with a 75mm lens if I need a filter.

So to answer your question, use 82mm with step up adapters. I don;t see the point of using an 86mm. The step-down adapter might actually vignette more as the adapter has depth too.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I have great filter set for my Mamiya RB67 mediu format camera. All their lenses take the same 77mm filter. When I bought a 4x5, I got step up adapters to 77mm and use the MF filters with the 4x5 lenses, except for my 90mm f4.5 which requires a 105mm over the center filter. I just havenl;t done anything with that one and will shoot with a 75mm lens if I need a filter.

So to answer your question, use 82mm with step up adapters. I don;t see the point of using an 86mm. The step-down adapter might actually vignette more as the adapter has depth too.
    I've been down the same path, and standardized on 77mm filters thanks to my RB67. I now use 77mm on all my 4x5 lenses -- the smallest has a 49mm-to-77mm step-up ring. No sense in my mind in having another complete set of smaller filters -- I already have enough bills to pay.

And I have a very wide lens with an 82mm filter thread, but there is no vignetting with a 82-77mm step-down ring.

And I agree with the earlier comment, that if the OP is using 4x5, the 90mm 4.5 might be WAY too much. Trade it in for a more suitable 90mm, and use the proceeds to buy a good set of 77mm filters -- and take us out for lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Serge S View Post
    Same here - have two sets: 49mm & 67mm
    Don't always need both sizes depending on what I plan to bring along.
    I could see myself messing up the sets and having the wrong size filters for the lens I brought. I leave the step-up filter on each lens ready for the same sized filter. Why complicate things?

Step-up to 95mm and standardize to that. Future-proof!

This is more of a personal decision. Also decent filters at typical sizes are available used cheap. Recently I purchased a 95mm R25 multicoated filter by Pentax for $10. New would 10x.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Good luck finding filters over 77mm at a decent price. 77mm? E Z

Hi Mario,

In your place, I would be considering the Lee100 System (or similar from another manufacturer) as well as the option of choosing a filter size that can be used with current and possible future lenses. The Lee System will cover all filter needs up to 100mm. I would also be thinking about whether I might want to use additional kinds of filters in the future, in particular a polariser, neutral density filters or a centre filter.

If I recall, you use your camera in part for urban photography. If there was a chance that I might want to acquire a lens or lenses wider than your Rodenstock 90mm f/4.5, such as Rodenstock's 75mm f/4.5 or 55mm f/4.5, I'd also be taking that into account. Those two lenses, and Rodenstock's 90mm f/6.8, all take 67mm filters. They also all take a centre filter with an 86mm outer diameter. Your 90mm f/4.5, in addition to taking larger 82mm filters, requires a centre filter that takes 112mm filters. That centre filter has practical ramifications, starting with the availability and cost of 112mm filters.

If you decide to consider the Lee100 System, look at European rather than North American suppliers. Lee filter holders and filters are quite a bit less expensive in Europe.
    Last edited by r.e.; 6-May-2022 at 06:43.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Drew Wiley

Different strategies. Out in the weather, coated glass filters have a big advantage over more fragile and electrostatic plastic ones or gels. And as far as standardizing on something huge like a 95? ... well, you could probably buy a whole stack of 67mm's for the price of just one of those new! But with luck and patience, deals can be found.