Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is your digital camera “scanning” setup?

Re: What is your digital camera “scanning” setup?

Nice work, Les.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Les

Thanks, Peter.
    Les

On occasion I noticed there is real life outside the GG/viewfinder.

I read that some people here use the Rodenstock Apo Rodagon D 75mm f4 (1x). I am scanning 6x7 negs with a Canon R5 and 100mm RF L Macro lens. Would the Rodagon bring me any meaningful improvement in
    my "camera scans"? For a reference, they are virtually indistinguishable in terms of detail from my 5000 dpi Screen Cezanne, when I divide the negative into 4 RAW captures. When photographing slides, the colors and
    shadow detail from the camera is visibly superior compared to the Cezanne scan. Deep shadows can't really be recovered from the Cezanne tiffs, it only brings up red bands of sensor noise, whereas the RAW files
    come with all the improvements of modern technology.

And would the 1x Version of the Rodenstock lens work for 6x7 Film, or do I need the 2x Version? It says in the description:
    "Recommended Scale Range 0.8× - 1.2×
    Maximum format 6x6 cms
    Apo-Rodagon-D: duplication and macro photography with practically no loss in definition and brilliance.
    Bellows extension required to use this lens at 1:1 - 136.7mm"

I don't have any Canon gear, and so I don't know about the 100mm.....If you are scanning at 1x, well, you'd want the 1x Rodagon version. (I have both.) That would mean you'd scan a sensor sized area at a time, which is what my old system did. The Rodagon is excellent for that, with none of the 20 lenses or so I tested being better. Richard Karsh has one for sale right now, if it hasn't sold. Check his Facebook page.

But...what are you trying to improve? Are the scans not good enough? A Rodagon will require an extension tube/bellows, and at 1x you want to focus by moving the whole lens + camera system up and down, as opposed to changing lens extension.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

I have started scanning using my Hasselblad H3D-39 with HC 4/120 macro lens mounted on a tripod via a Manfrotto Macro focusing rail. The film, 35mm and 120 is held in a DigitaLiza film capture system. I have yet to start with 4x5 film.

I wonder if there is a benefit to wet the film before photographing it, like they do with a drum scanner.
    Peter Chong
    Singapore

There are potential benefits, such as flatter film and slightly finer grain, but there are also downsides, such as the cost, hassle, and danger of scratching film. The best way to make an informed judgement is to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by pchong View Post
    I have started scanning using my Hasselblad H3D-39 with HC 4/120 macro lens mounted on a tripod via a Manfrotto Macro focusing rail. The film, 35mm and 120 is held in a DigitaLiza film capture system. I have yet to start with 4x5 film.

I wonder if there is a benefit to wet the film before photographing it, like they do with a drum scanner.
    I always thought wetting the film was to get it to adhere to the curved surface of the drum. A “wet gate” is used for motion picture transfer (basically scanning to video) to protect the film and minimize scratches.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I don't have any Canon gear, and so I don't know about the 100mm.....If you are scanning at 1x, well, you'd want the 1x Rodagon version. (I have both.) That would mean you'd scan a sensor sized area at a time, which is what my old system did. The Rodagon is excellent for that, with none of the 20 lenses or so I tested being better. Richard Karsh has one for sale right now, if it hasn't sold. Check his Facebook page.

But...what are you trying to improve? Are the scans not good enough? A Rodagon will require an extension tube/bellows, and at 1x you want to focus by moving the whole lens + camera system up and down, as opposed to changing lens extension.
    Thank you Peter and sorry for the late reply. I am really pleased with the Canon and after a lot of tweaking with the "dslr scanning" setup I have nevertheless decided to dust off my arsenal of three ancient scanners, which haven't been used for more than 10 years. A Cezanne and a couple of Scanmates, an F10 flatbed and a 11000 drum scanner, which is lacking everything except for a pretty scratched up drum. The F10 used to beat the Cezanne for scanning transparencies, while the Cezanne was pretty awesome scanning negs, so I guess I am pretty covered, if I get the old behemoths up and running again. The dust that has gotten inside looks pretty frightening I must say... I did some tests comparing old scans of 6x7 transparencies between the Canon R5/100 mm macro setup and the Cezanne. Both seem to out resolve the film, couldn't see any meaningful difference except for the Cezanne picking up an awful amount of very sharp "microdust" which isn't present in the DSLR scans. Colorwise the Canon however records a lot more and better color in very deep shadows, where the Cezanne shows mostly noise and faint red banding. Hardly surprising since we are comparing 20 year sensor tech to today's state of the art technology. You might see me around in the Cezanne thread...

I use room size lighting system

with my best NIKON

setup is key
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by joelio View Post
    This looks like it employs multiple Z-axis stages. Are they all turned independently or can they be “left loose” and a single stage being turned will move the remaining three?

Thanks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	original.jpg.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	238174

I level the light source by adjusting each z-axis stage individually.
    The camera is leveled with an Arca-Swiss Cube geared head and Rogeti CAP-GZA geared panning head.
    And I use JINGYAN Digital Level TLL-90S to check the level.

- http://www.jingyan-tech.com/en/html/product/25.html

p.s. Initially I used the Sony FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS macro lens on my a7R IV camera, but it didn't reach my Haselblad X1 scanner. So I switched to Sigma 105mm F2.8 DG DN Macro Art, and the results outperformed X1.
    Chamonix 45N-2, Chamonix 45H-1