Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Focusing loupe for Graflex RB45 - presbyopia alert

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Focusing loupe for Graflex RB45 - presbyopia alert

Quote Originally Posted by Ramiro Elena View Post
    Brian, do you use the loupe hanging from your neck or do you drop it inside the hood?

On the psychological side, it has been very demoralizing to see I can no longer see...
    I haven't yet used it on a Graflex SLR, only on a Speed Graphic. As mentioned earlier, the tall hood of the RB might be a problem. The loupe needs to be against the GG. That, in practice, might make it an unlikely option for the Graflex RB unless the hood is modified or removed. For the Speed, this loupe (or equivalent "long" loupe) is just the right length.

Like you, I'm growing more demoralized every day about vision. Seems like all of the sudden I need brighter lights and longer arms to see things. And a magnifying glass...

Wrestling with the same problem - dealing with the tall hood on Graflexes. I have the Horseman long loupe but it's not long enough for the tallest hoods. Have fiddled with dollar-store reading glasses as well as various other correction lenses (screw-in close-up lenses, anyone?) but so far don't have a good mounting for those. To this point the best solution for visibility has been to take off the hood and focus on the GG with a loupe under a dark cloth, but of course that strongly affects the way one uses the camera.

SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr

Bought this olde Arca Swiss Reflex Mag for $100 and adapted it to 9x9cm Makiflex. It's big enough to cover 4x5 glass so it might work good with Graflex?

SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr

Approximate View through new to me 4x5 Arca Swiss Reflex Finder on Auto Makiflex. As you can see there is a nice black border around the 9x9cm full frame glass. Perfect for viewing the entire field without straining
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Approximate View through new to me 4x5 Arca Swiss Reflex Finder on Auto Makiflex. As you can see there is a nice black border around the 9x9cm full frame glass. Perfect for viewing the entire field without straining
    Your post in another thread is what prompted me to ask the question. Maybe a replacement of the hood...?

Quote Originally Posted by Ramiro Elena View Post
    Your post in another thread is what prompted me to ask the question. Maybe a replacement of the hood...?
    Perhaps if you can find one with a good fit. Ed Sawyer comes around here, he has cobbled some lovely Franken-Graflexes, and might have some good ideas for you. Long ago I collected Graflex stuff. Peter Gowland made some interesting Hoods for his twin lens cameras. Perhaps something like that is do-able.

The Arca Swiss 4x5 works good for me on the Makis, I do wish the ocular had adjustable focusing, which it does not. Me I wouldn't buy one without trying it first for fit on your camera. Some modifying will be in order.

I like your portfolio Good Luck to you!

― Mark Twain

I like the Sinar Norma and modern Sinar monocular and binocular with bag bellows, I have a bunch of them with Norma oculars attached with Hollywood Gaffer Tape. Would look weird (tripod required) but the cool thing is you can move your head around and really examine the corners, even without a fresnel. Maybe that's too crazy but I wonder if it would work? Horseman and Linhof made a lot of stuff too. And Plaubel as well

― Mark Twain

Arca-Swiss

A focus aid in most cases should not be more than 4 or 5x. Stronger it will magnify the grind of the glass and t or the fresnel rings if present. I use either a 2x Hood Loop, or a Toyo 3.6x view camera focus aid.

A user should only use his infinity or distant vision setup when using a focus aid for best accuracy. So if you have progressive glasses, or bifocals, use the distant section to focus through the focus aid. Then either switch to the closeup or reading classes for setting the camera etc. Some people but the sort of lower half reading glasses so their eyes are free to focus, but use the magnification to set the camera.
    I have taught this for 40 years and these are true maxims when it comes to focusing. If you check in View Camera Technique by Leslie Stroebel, he echos what I stated.

Hope this helps.

Rod
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

My eyes are so bad, the ONLY thing that works is my high end 9X adjustable Edmunds glass Loupe

No longer sold...

I keep mine on a shoelace around my neck
    Tin Can

I have used reading glasses, also. Another strategy that works but makes the hood non-folding is to drop in a Cambo straight viewing hood. Sorry, I could only find the 90 degree one in pictures online. Basically it's just a tapered box with a magnifier at one end, like the Hasselblad chimney finder but large.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

One other clever idea from Mamiya. A sliding loupe that flips up for composing. GX60 is probably the only MF camera heavier than a Technika 4 x 5

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GX680 1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	227939

Name:	GX680 2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	227940

Name:	GX680 3.jpg