Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Focusing loupe for Graflex RB45 - presbyopia alert

Focusing loupe for Graflex RB45 - presbyopia alert

Age has taken its toll on me. I can't focus on the ground glass of my Graflex RB45 ever since I made the huge mistake of getting reading glasses.
    All I would need is a folding loupe as in Hasselblad waist level finders or Rolleiflexes, or ANYTHING really.

I assume there's a lot of people in this forum with the same problem. What are your solutions? Please help!

Focusing loupe for Graflex RB45 - presbyopia alert

Sadly it happens to us all... I took the lenses from a Sinar finder and created a small hanger out of metal. It works fine, but could be more elegant.

Re: Focusing loupe for Graflex RB45 - presbyopia alert

I use a focusable high grade glass 9X optic loupe

on a shoelace around my neck
    Tin Can

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

https://www.etonephoto.com/products/...ing-viewfinder

I have no connection with the manufacturer or any specific vendor, other than being a satisfied end-user. My only critique is that there are no caps provided, but slip-on caps of appropriate size can easily be obtained.

Glad to hear this. I have seen negative Amazon reviews for this loupe but this is the first I've seen in this forum, which I trust more.

The tall hood on the Graflex is going to be a problem for viewing with a loupe. Maybe your reading glasses are not optimized for the distance from the top of the hood to the ground glass. I'd measure that distance, and then try out some cheap dollar store reading glasses at different powers to see if any would be better suited. Reading glasses seem to be optimized for a limited usable distance range. The higher power glasses focus better at closer distances, while the lower power ones focus easier a bit further away. You want to find one that works well at the distance for your hood. You may also want to invest in one of those elastic bands that hold the glasses to your head, so they don't fall off when you're looking down.

It's fun getting old. New challenges await.

Quote Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post
    The tall hood on the Graflex is going to be a problem for viewing with a loupe. Maybe your reading glasses are not optimized for the distance from the top of the hood to the ground glass. I'd measure that distance, and then try out some cheap dollar store reading glasses at different powers to see if any would be better suited. Reading glasses seem to be optimized for a limited usable distance range. The higher power glasses focus better at closer distances, while the lower power ones focus easier a bit further away. You want to find one that works well at the distance for your hood. You may also want to invest in one of those elastic bands that hold the glasses to your head, so they don't fall off when you're looking down.

It's fun getting old. New challenges await.
    I have used the one dollar eyeglasses and they work fine. The problem is looking up to talk to whoever I am photographing and going back to the ground glass. I feel like my head is going to explode from trying to focus at different distances back and forth. That's why I thought of something connected to the camera instead of my head. I could also remove the left lens from the glasses and use that to look up.

Brian, do you use the loupe hanging from your neck or do you drop it inside the hood?

On the psychological side, it has been very demoralizing to see I can no longer see...

My astigmatism is significant enough that basic magnifiers/loupes won't help on their own - I need my prescription as well. So I use flip-up magnifiers for most close-up things with the camera, as these are easy to get out of the way when I need to look at the 'real' world.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Worthington View Post
    Glad to hear this. I have seen negative Amazon reviews for this loupe but this is the first I've seen in this forum, which I trust more.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	227041

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	227042

Quote Originally Posted by Ramiro Elena View Post
    I have used the one dollar eyeglasses and they work fine. The problem is looking up to talk to whoever I am photographing and going back to the ground glass. I feel like my head is going to explode from trying to focus at different distances back and forth.
    I guess you're a newbie at this getting old thing. Welcome to the club. Just hang your reading glasses on a string around your neck, just like you would for a loupe. Take them on or off as necessary, you'll get the hang of it in time.