Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many color-based folks are still out there

Re: How many color-based folks are still out there

E6 and C41, in 4x5 and 8x10 all the way … what’s the point of having a camera if you don’t shoot what you want….

I just don’t stop at Starbucks anymore /s

I tried color both in the 1970s and in the early 1980s but found contrast control virtually non existent. I never went back.

E6 mostly 5x7, some 4x5 and 8x10. Processed at Citizen's Photo in Portland, OR. Tango drum scanned or Creo Eversmart Supreme scanned. Printed with Canon iPF 8400 on Canson Platine Fiber Rag. Big cameras + big film + big scans = big fun. Not to mention a certain feel and look to the big prints.
    Thad Gerheim

E6 only, with scan to digital print. I gave up B&W many years ago, since this is a hobby with limited time available. I need to scan some of my old B&W negs, and work with them.

I still run E6, C41 and color prints. I do almost zero large format color.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    I started out with 4x5" chromes, but soon turned to Agfacolor 100/125 & 400 -- at the same time I did with 35mm. Today I use Ektar 100 in 4x5", and Ektar 25 in 35mm.

Probably 1/4 - 1/3rd of my shots are in color, but most shots are for composition/texture/shape/light/etc. and are not improved by color. Sometimes the color simply distracts from the composition/texture/shape/light/etc. I only shoot in color when I think it adds something to the subject.
    Do they still manufacture Ektar 25?

Here are shots of Ektar 25 taken thirty years ago shot in 120 film with my Mamiya RB67.
    https://www.flickr.com/search/?sort=...N05&view_all=1

Fuji Crystal Archive paper is available in cut sheets 8x10 up to 20x24. It's a very nice consumer grade of paper. Gives me excellent results, it's so thin it's tricky to handle in larger sizes. I'm a dinosaur trying to stay proficient with color printing. Digi and inkjet is so easy, until the nozzles clog

Drew Wiley

100% direct optical workflow. Now shooting exclusively color neg film (mostly Ektar 100 in multiple formats up to 8x10 - way better product than old Ektar 25 was), optically enlarged onto Fuji RA4 papers. There's a delay at the moment getting my favorite media - Fujiflex Supergloss, much like Cibachrome, but RA4 instead, and available only on big wide rolls. Then in terms of my old sheet film E6 chromes on hand, I select certain ones for sake of making precision internegs, which can then be printed onto RA4 media. Great results with a minimum of bellyflops (but always a few of those each season). I do up to 30X40 inch prints.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    100% direct optical workflow. Now shooting exclusively color neg film (mostly Ektar 100 in multiple formats up to 8x10 - way better product than old Ektar 25 was), optically enlarged onto Fuji RA4 papers. There's a delay at the moment getting my favorite media - Fujiflex Supergloss, much like Cibachrome, but RA4 instead, and available only on big wide rolls. Then in terms of my old sheet film E6 chromes on hand, I select certain ones for sake of making precision internegs, which can then be printed onto RA4 media. Great results with a minimum of bellyflops (but always a few of those each season). I do up to 30X40 inch prints.
    The current Ektar 100 is a joy to print. I don't think I shot any of the 25. Last couple years I sort of "re-discovered" Ektar, I shot a lot of Portra. I've been using Fuji CA since Kodak quit cutting sheets.

I truly miss Cibachrome. Amazing stuff.

Porta on vacation in 120 format, and some times also Portra and Ektachrome in 4x5.