Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many color-based folks are still out there

How many color-based folks are still out there

I'm curious- I know there are a large number of black and white aficionados that frequent this forum. I am not one of them- I still do E-6 transparency based work that I drum scan and digitally print. Im wondering how many folks are doing similar work or are shooting color film and taking it to prints in whatever way. Respond and let me know what you are doing and maybe even why- my why is that I still enjoy it as much today as I did 20-30 years ago!

Re: How many color-based folks are still out there

Exclusively E6, with scan to digital print. B&W has never been my thing.

Bob

I’ve done black and white/darkroom almost exclusively for a long time but am gradually rediscovering colour film after a long hiatus. My long term goal as of recently is/was to scan/edit/inkjet-print colour negatives (Portra) but I’m not set up for that yet and I’m still at the bottom of the digitization learning curve. But I now often wonder why not just shoot digital colour instead of using film. I go back and forth on this.

Quote Originally Posted by eric black View Post
    I'm curious- I know there are a large number of black and white aficionados that frequent this forum. I am not one of them- I still do E-6 transparency based work that I drum scan and digitally print. Im wondering how many folks are doing similar work or are shooting color film and taking it to prints in whatever way. Respond and let me know what you are doing and maybe even why- my why is that I still enjoy it as much today as I did 20-30 years ago!
    I started doing BW but am still more of a fan of color particularly Velvia 50 although I now am shooting Provia and Ektachrome. I've pretty much-stopped printing. My wife doesn't;t want me loading up the wall anymore with photos, but do scan and make slide shows digitally for display on my 75" 4K TV. Sometimes I upload them to Youtube for convenience and for ease of showing on a computer monitor. I also shoot digitally, especially on vacation, so slideshows including video clips work with those too. I'm working on a "zine" or tabletop photo photo which I;ve never done before. Should be interesting. Not for sale. Just a couple of copies for myself and relatives.

Love DIGI color even converted to BW
    Tin Can

E6 , scan and digital print
    BW, optical print or scan and digital print
    and the odd C-41 with scan and digital print but I'll never seem to get colors I like
    Lasse Thomasson | Instagram

I am using Colour negative film, or E6 film and either solarizing or Cross Processing and make tri colour gum over palladium prints... I also do monochrome gum over palladium. New world has opened up to me.

Quote Originally Posted by lassethomas View Post
    E6 , scan and digital print
    BW, optical print or scan and digital print
    and the odd C-41 with scan and digital print but I'll never seem to get colors I like
    That's why I like shooting chromes especially if I bracket. I know immediately which is the right shot.

I started out with 4x5" chromes, but soon turned to Agfacolor 100/125 & 400 -- at the same time I did with 35mm. Today I use Ektar 100 in 4x5", and Ektar 25 in 35mm.

Probably 1/4 - 1/3rd of my shots are in color, but most shots are for composition/texture/shape/light/etc. and are not improved by color. Sometimes the color simply distracts from the composition/texture/shape/light/etc. I only shoot in color when I think it adds something to the subject.

I started shooting 4x5 color neg in 1982. Vericolor II Type L, with an 85B filter @ EI50 in daylight... for those who remember. Began concentrating on b/w when I built a darkroom at home in 1989. I continued to shoot color, though, until my employer dismantled their color lab in 2009. So I gave up color- although I don't miss operating and maintaining the processors, not in the least.
    Perhaps this year I'll get a scanner and an inkjet printer; I have a bunch of older work that would look good printed (after I learn how of course). But I don't imagine shooting 4x5 color again. Too expensive now (remember that in my past the cost was limited to buying film).