Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 4x5 roll film adapter

4x5 roll film adapter

Other sources show that the Kodak/Folmer & Schwing/Graflex connection continued to make a LF roll film holder for the Graflex back until about WW-II.

I couldn't believe it hadn't been done before. Now I know. Thanks all.

Bruce Watson

4x5 roll film adapter

Turns out that there was a Keith Camera company that made a 90mm back to fit Graflex.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=004YH4&tag=

There is one of his 70mm backs listed on Ebay at item number 7600649308

I have a Beattie Imperial 90 which also has a 90mm roll film back but it would have to be adapted to fit a graflex back but I don't think it would be hard.

I am going the other way trying to adapt the Beattie TLR to take sheet film.

This is the 70mm model of my camera ebay item # 7587456863

4x5 roll film adapter

I think that Bruce's inquiry is fascinating. It seems that everything, no matter how improbable, has been invented and made available at one time or another. A great thing about studying history (including old photos) is the unexpected discovery of these improbable things, these things that at one time or another were important to someone. These sorts of discoveries make this forum just amazingly interesting and vital.

I bet there a more than a few people now who are thinking about how they can get their hands on a large format roll film back, and maybe even are drawing up plans to build one. If you get 20x24" film and cut it into strips...

Why all the hostility people? Some of you need a new hobby because you aren't understanding the importance of photography or this forum.

4x5 roll film adapter

Linhof made 5" roll backs for their aerial cameras and for the Technika 45 cameras. It used 50 to 60' (depending on film base) of 126mm 5" roll film on NATO modified spools. NASA used several of these on the Space Shuttle missions.

4x5 roll film adapter

Weren't there some polaroid land cameras that used 4" roll film? I thought I remembered seeing one in a thrift store once. Maybe I am mistaken.

4x5 roll film adapter

"polaroid land cameras that used 4" roll film?"

Among other models the original Polaroid cameras like the 95 and 95a and the Pathfinder used roll film about that wide. But the prints were not 4x5"

3D-Stereo-Aeropanoramas

Re: 4x5 roll film adapter

I have just seen an other thread about vaccum backs answering this:
    linhofs aerotronic vaccum-back had been adapted -for 45 technica- only for copy-work.
    There was a california company which offered a motorized 4x5-sheet-film-adapter. Crazy. i have my doubts about proper film flatness.
    Agfa still offers avicolor film from 70 to 240mm. x-types x100 and x400 are without mask, ideal for scanning and b+w. gigapxl-projec is using the large one with vaccum-back. i have seen prints at artbasel. not as big as they should have to be printed.

3D-Stereo-Aeropanoramas

if you can get a graflex 6x7/70/4x5-back you can use unperforated x100(or any other) 70mm film(also perforated). on ebay someone is offering a 70/120-slitter. no need for a 70mm-lab. sk grimes gave me hints how to keep the film flat.

jadphoto

Am I the only one around here old enough to remember the Keith twin lens reflex cameras? I shot with one in a portrait studio in the 60's. We mostly used 70mm roll film (100 foot rolls if I remember), but for black and white we had a couple of 5 inch roll film backs (I believe the film was 5" x 100', but it might have been 50'). We could mask the film for 5x7 or 5 x 3 1/2.

I remember it was a real (reel) bitch to load the stuff for developing. The color was processed on a cine processor but the b&w we did on a huge Nikkor reel in humongus tanks...in the dark, no daylight tanks here!

I believe the backs on the Keiths were graflock. Those film magazines must still be out there somewhere. However, I'm certain most of them are now in use as boat anchors. Not sure the 5" film is still available, other than the aerial stuff though.

JD

3D-Stereo-Aeropanoramas

The problem would be developping 5"-126mm. jobo also made a 127mm version of its special developping tanks which is out of production. developping 70mm is easier. yes i would also like 70mm 6x12-back. cutting film down afterwards for the lab. just bought multiple slitters from xkaes at aol.com.
    Developping 70mm is no problem. there must be thread about that. I am using graflex rh50-67/45-back if 45-cam is used.
    www.stereopan.org
    3DStereo-Aeropanorama-Jungfraujoch