Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Color Neg to Pos Conversion - Blue Cast

Re: Color Neg to Pos Conversion - Blue Cast

Those are nice conversions. The colors look terrific. How long did it take to do? Did you deviate from any of Burke's procedures?

Quote Originally Posted by JLNims View Post
    Thanks Pat! I will read with great intensity . Here's the reference I used for this instance: https://retro-pixel.com/converting-c...thout-plugins/

Now to compare the two; and factor in Bernard's excellent points. I'll let you all know what I find in case you might be interested in this hybrid technique.

Thanks fellas!
    For me the Alex Burke method only worked in Photoshop, I have tried in Affinity Foto but there you can not use. The ALT key for clipping.
    But I must say the converted images looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMarq View Post
    For me the Alex Burke method only worked in Photoshop, I have tried in Affinity Foto but there you can not use. The ALT key for clipping.
    I don't have PS only LR and Elements. Do these work?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I don't have PS only LR and Elements. Do these work?
    Alan, LR there it is not possible. For Element I don’t know the product very well. You need layers, Substract option with layers. And the most important thing is when you drag the curve sliders for each channel you can see when clipping happens. In Photoshop is is the ALT key when you drag the slider.
    This option does not exist in Affinity and I have found that this is a crucial tool for this kind of conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by JLNims View Post
    Well thanks for asking Alan. I'll show the neg and the finished product. PLEASE do not judge focus! I am waiting on a new negative carrier for my light table. These negs just laid on the table; but had a vertical curve with just the amount to blow my scanning camera focus. I did try a smaller aperture; but to no avail. When I get my new carrier next week, maybe we can do this again. I left the rebate so you can see it turned black as it should Having said that, here we go:

Attachment 226828Attachment 226829Attachment 226830Attachment 226831
    I opened negative in Irfanview; reverse negative and cropped and saved. Then opened in Elements. Applied auto Levels to RGB together, not separately. Then fine tuned color saturation,exposure, contrast etc until it looked OK.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ektar 100  3 3.jpg  

I wouldn't need Irfanview if I could find how to reverse the negative in Elements. I must have missed it. It should be there. Maybe someone else knows.

PS I tried Levels individually R_G_B but found doing all three at once on Auto Levels was easier.

This is at the stage I just did Auto Levels before fine tuning contrast, saturation exposure, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ektar 100  3 4.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Those are nice conversions. The colors look terrific. How long did it take to do? Did you deviate from any of Burke's procedures?
    Hi Alan, thanks for the nice words! Really, it took a bit of time the first time I attempted, but we would expect that wouldn't we? The first time, we don't know what to expect; and we move slower to study what happens at each step. Once I got past that learning curve, I did the other photo. That took less than 1 minute; and that included last final adjustments to taste.
    Apologies for the late rely By The Way! Had a busy day. Oh! and no, I did not deviate from the instructions save the clipping bit. Please see my response to Pat regarding the ALT key below.

To sum it up, this is the best method I have used; and I intend to stick with it. Eventually, I will automate most of it so that one click will get me to the final adjustment stage. Just seconds per photo. I must say, I love shooting film for many reasons, and the hybrid use of film to digital is just fantastic!

I have to say thanks again to Pat here for recommending the article.
    ~Jeff

"it is better to overexpose slightly than to under expose." Ansel Adams, The Negative

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMarq View Post
    ...I have tried in Affinity Foto but there you can not use. The ALT key for clipping.
    Thanks Pat!
    As far as the ALT key is concerned, what I did instead was watch my color scope set for RBG Waveform. I increased the channels until just before the tops of the channels hit the top of the scope. Bang! Done. Hope that helps.
    I'm an Affinity Photo worshipper, so if it can be done with AP, I'll find a way (By god!).
    ~Jeff

"it is better to overexpose slightly than to under expose." Ansel Adams, The Negative