Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Darkroom Sink Slope & Drain?

Re: Darkroom Sink Slope & Drain?

I used an 8 1/2 foot sink that I made for about 17 years. I used a drop of a little less than 1/16” figuring that water flows off of level. I had the drain in the back corner even though the plumbing drain was below the center of the sink on the wall. I ran a drain pipe from the sink drain into a trap then into the main drain. The only place that I had any issues with dampness was in the corner where the drain was placed since the drain was round and the sink was not.

My sink measures 8' x 2'. Exterior plywood. Since the sink has multiple coats of paint I was advised by my friend (coincidently owner of a high end lumber yard) that I would be wasting $$ with getting marine plywood over exterior. 5 coats of RUST-OLEUM RESTORE 4X Deck Coat paint. Paint is four times thicker than ordinary paint. Re-coat the sink every summer without having to worry about the smell of Epoxy paint. The paint that I use is essentially odorless. Right angle corners are re-caulked every year before repainting. I'm sure this isn't needed to be done, but it takes so little time to do. Drain goes directly into a dry well. Pitch is 1/8" per foot. Heavy Duty Black Kodak Rubber Squeegee works great for pushing any "standing" water into the drain.

I never need to squeegee my ARKAY sink

I spray it down with water

When I got my 3 Arkay sinks nobody wanted them

I gave one away, sold the 10 ft, kept the 7 ft as I can move it by myself

Then I added 2 laundry tubs, one for 16X20 print washer and the other for my Gas Burst

Gave away a clean brown fiberglass DR sink
    Tin Can

Over 20 years ago I designed my current darkroom without a large sink to hold the trays. Washing the trays in the little sink is not fun, but otherwise, I'd have almost no dry counter space between printing sessions for other projects.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	counter2800.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	226802

Name:	Temperingboxandprocessor.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	226803

Name:	IMG_0098.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	226804

Ic-racer, interesting third photo. Is that for agitating the film?
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I never need to squeegee my ARKAY sink

I spray it down with water

When I got my 3 Arkay sinks nobody wanted them

I gave one away, sold the 10 ft, kept the 7 ft as I can move it by myself

Then I added 2 laundry tubs, one for 16X20 print washer and the other for my Gas Burst

Gave away a clean brown fiberglass DR sink
    I had a plastic Rubbermaid wash pan for a sink with a garden hose for the drain, luxurious corrugated cardboard walls. I had the sexiest darkroom of anyone else in 9th grade.

My Arkay sink was delivered to me for free, a professor here at the University of Iowa, he couldn't see it scrapped. I decided if it showed up in my driveway I would find a place for it. I moved some big shelves (I had installed about a year before) fit perfectly, I can't imagine how I got by without it.

I probably don't need to squeegee, but it minimizes water spots, and it makes for a drier darkroom.

Working on a new sink myself, just moved and building a new space. I had thought 1/4" per foot but I am reconsidering based on this thread. Here is the design I am working off of. It has a pull out print washing drawer specd to hold a 11x14 and 20x24 washers. This DR is smaller than my previous but it is real living space so my goal is to make it super nice. I am designing to be able to print 20x30.

My old sink always stayed wet in spots. But it was free from someone on this forum (wish I could remember their name).

Will Wilson
    www.willwilson.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20220430-190404_Drive.jpg  
    Will Wilson
    www.willwilson.com

Alternative coating solution: Quick Seal - its a rubberized paint that is water proof. It also wipes down easily. I also fiberglassed my sink but I don't think that is really necessary if you use a good layer of epoxy to seal the wood before the final painted coats. Also not a bad idea to make the final end of the sink lower than the rest of the sink if that is where you will do most of your washing. |--------__|
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

I squegee my Elkay SS sink in order to keep it stainless! Luis

Waste lines are 1/8" per foot, its a standard plumbing rule. Commercial SS sinks have sloped bottoms built in at 1/8" per foot.

I think at 1/4"/ft the water will drain pretty fast n take everything with it to the drain. print trays will have the chemicals off to one side and your developer tanks may also have a problem covering your film.