Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Darkroom Sink Slope & Drain?

Re: Darkroom Sink Slope & Drain?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ron View Post
    Waste lines are 1/8" per foot, its a standard plumbing rule. Commercial SS sinks have sloped bottoms built in at 1/8" per foot.

I think at 1/4"/ft the water will drain pretty fast n take everything with it to the drain. print trays will have the chemicals off to one side and your developer tanks may also have a problem covering your film.
    I don't know where you came up with your info, but the building codes in my area are specific,
    Waste line slope-¼ inch to 3 inches per foot
    Pipes must slope slightly downhill to drain properly. The standard slope is anywhere from ¼ inch to 3 inches per foot depending on the use. An accurate calculation is essential for properly functioning plumbing

It's not just about water in the lines, it's about keeping "solid waste" moving. Faster slope causes water to drain too fast leaving solids behind, and flatter slope doesn't have enough force to push solids down line.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

oh im sorry... the1/8" slope is for waste lines 3" or more... 1/4" is waste pipe smaller than 3"

but the op was asking about sinks, not waste lines.

long commercial ss sinks are designed with 1/8" slope built in the bottoms so no need to add to that. 1/4" slope on a sink is way too much.

https://up.codes/viewer/new_york_cit...y-drainage#704

Good data

Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    I don't know where you came up with your info, but the building codes in my area are specific,
    Waste line slope-¼ inch to 3 inches per foot
    Pipes must slope slightly downhill to drain properly. The standard slope is anywhere from ¼ inch to 3 inches per foot depending on the use. An accurate calculation is essential for properly functioning plumbing

It's not just about water in the lines, it's about keeping "solid waste" moving. Faster slope causes water to drain too fast leaving solids behind, and flatter slope doesn't have enough force to push solids down line.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ron View Post
    oh im sorry... the1/8" slope is for waste lines 3" or more... 1/4" is waste pipe smaller than 3"

but the op was asking about sinks, not waste lines.

long commercial ss sinks are designed with 1/8" slope built in the bottoms so no need to add to that. 1/4" slope on a sink is way too much.

https://up.codes/viewer/new_york_cit...y-drainage#704
    Again, wrong. You can get away with 1/8" per foot with small drain lines of 1.25" - 2" (sink drains) that carry water only, anything 3" and larger is used for solid waste.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

Rick, you are giving good advice about things I didn't know

While I did all kinds of industrial plumbing, I was self taught, over 20 years, huge factory test lab

I was using large amounts of water for cooling engine Dynamometers, using big heat exchangers both plate and tube

But I never needed a normal household drain P trap

We had 6 test cells with open standing 4" pipe, which acted as https://www.amazon.com/hose-backflow...flow+preventer with a large air gap
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Rick, you are giving good advice about things I didn't know

While I did all kinds of industrial plumbing, I was self taught, over 20 years, huge factory test lab

I was using large amounts of water for cooling engine Dynamometers, using big heat exchangers both plate and tube

But I never needed a normal household drain P trap

We had 6 test cells with open standing 4" pipe, which acted as https://www.amazon.com/hose-backflow...flow+preventer with a large air gap
    Impressive resume indeed!! I spent the last 25 years of my working career as a commercial construction super. and 10 years prior to that as a residential super, and have been in construction since working for my uncle's company since my childhood. I supported myself through college doing handyman work, and except for the five years I worked for Olan Mills as a photographer, that has been my entire career. I still do some occasional consulting work and even put on a tool belt when the need arises. I got my general contractors license in 1979 in Utah, had to endure three days of testing knowledge of all the related trades to pass.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

rick... first off, waste pipes, sinks and drains are 3 seperate subjects under different codes.

1... according to the nyc buildings code, pipes 3"diam and larger are sloped 1/8"/ft. pipes under 3" diam are sloped 1/4"/ft. that's nyc building code for waste lines... only the pipes!

2... commercial ss sinks like your darkroom sink are designed with 1/8"/ft sloped bottoms... thats only the sink, not the pipes, not the drain!

3... sink drain hookups are generally 1 1/4"-2" depending on volume, manufacture and the waste pipe its being hooked into via the trap. thats only the sink drain!

so what is your problem?

nyc building codes for plumbing, ch7 sanitary drainage codes

https://up.codes/viewer/new_york_cit...ary-drainage#7

Just put adjustable feet on one end of your bench. If the water stands raise the height.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography