Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linhof Bellows Replacement

Linhof Bellows Replacement

I need to change the bellows on a Linhof Technika IV. I could try to do it myself (and may indeed end up doing it myself) but I would prefer to have it done by a professional technician in the EU (I keep the camera in Italy).

Any recommendations? I would prefer to keep it in the EU and not to send the camera to the UK - customs have become a hassle after brexit.

Thanks -

Re: Linhof Bellows Repalecement

Hello Renato,

Have you considered maybe sending it to Linhof?
    Just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by Renato Tonelli View Post
    I need to change the bellows on a Linhof Technika IV. I could try to do it myself (and may indeed end up doing it myself) but I would prefer to have it done by a professional technician in the EU (I keep the camera in Italy).

Any recommendations? I would prefer to keep it in the EU and not to send the camera to the UK - customs have become a hassle after brexit.

Thanks -

Quote Originally Posted by Serge S View Post
    Hello Renato,

Have you considered maybe sending it to Linhof?
    Just a thought...
    Hi Serge - that's back-up plan No. 2; their Service Dept. is very busy and a bit more expensive than independent repair shops.

I did mine, and its not horrible, but it is a bit of a pain, especially poking holes through the holes in the front metal plates, through the bellows material, and lining it up with the threaded holes on the standard. I forget how many there are, but getting them all lined up correctly was a real pain. the slution was poking the holes with a thick needle, then holding them in place with toothpicks. Once the plate is glued, and the toothpicks are all aligning the holes with the screw holes, take one toothpick out at a time and screw that screw in, then move to the next.

But really, if you can find someone to do it for you, do it.

Quote Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
    I did mine, and its not horrible, but it is a bit of a pain, especially poking holes through the holes in the front metal plates, through the bellows material, and lining it up with the threaded holes on the standard. I forget how many there are, but getting them all lined up correctly was a real pain. the slution was poking the holes with a thick needle, then holding them in place with toothpicks. Once the plate is glued, and the toothpicks are all aligning the holes with the screw holes, take one toothpick out at a time and screw that screw in, then move to the next.

But really, if you can find someone to do it for you, do it.
    Thank you for the head's-up. There is an excellent tutorial on YouTube - it is in two parts and in time-lapse.

yeah, I started with those videos, and they do help a lot.

@abruzzi:

Did you also change the light sealing foam (as shown in the tutorial video)? If so, what is the approx thickness and where did you source it?

Thank you .

Re: Linhof Bellows Replacement

I don't remember changing ny foam. Where is it on the camera?

Quote Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
    I don't remember changing ny foam. Where is it on the camera?
    The very beginning of this tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP8YKYFfFx4

no, I just glued the bellows material to the surface, which was how the previous bellows were attached. I didn't seen any foam material on the bellows I took off (I assume they were original given the conditon, and the fact that my camera was a early Master Technika, so the condition was in line with a 40 year old set.) If you want something like that, I have a roll of this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115330793244

I've used that for light seals on my Plaubel. Its very dense and is closed cell foam with adhesive on one side. The densness may make to too hard to compress though. This roll is a half inch wide, and would need to be cut to make narrower.