Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8 x 10 Field Camera with the largest amount of front "fall"?

Re: 8 x 10 Field Camera with the largest amount of front "fall"?

I knew I'd find a photo somewhere. Here's what people are talking about for front drop via tilting, second photo on the page:
    http://ohm-image.net/opinion/photoph...reme-movements

So the winner in the field camera field would probably be a B&J flatbed, because it has no limit on the tilts, the only limit being the flexibility of the bellows and (more likely) the coverage of your lens. Some other older wooden views without tilt limits would do the same trick, but none are as easy to find as the Burke & James.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

My apologies, I should have been more clear.

I am part of a Facebook group called Digital Camera Obscura and it is basically all about taking a digital image of the projection that is created from a Large Format lens (usually 8 x 10). For me, this is about the shallow DOF you get with such lenses and also the ability to be able to use movements.

I have been tinkering with my version of this for a while but have found it hard to focus, so am thinking that using the Ground Glass of an actual 8 x 10 camera would be ideal. To make this work, I would need to swap out the front lens board for a longer one (hence the question about asking about front fall) and have a secondary hole cut out that would allow the digital camera pointing back towards the Ground Glass. I would also need to have a different bellows made to accomodate this new standard. I would also need to load a dark slide with some paper/material that would show the projected image.

Thats about it really. The digital lens I will be using is a Fuji GFX 32-64mm and is a 77mm filter thread, so I think I need at least 100mm of space..

This may not be possible with a field camera but thought I would check.. I can make it work with a monorail as I can place the rear standard higher and therefore the front standard, to create enough room below.

Hope this makes sense! I know it is not a pure form of Large Format and for anybody who finds what I am doing silly, that is ok with me... Would still like your advice though

Thanks in advance!

Like this?

https://www.diyphotography.net/this-...l-photographs/

If a monorail camera can be made to work for this image goal, why consider a field foldable camera that might not be idea or difficult to modify to achieve these image goal needs?

Given this image goal, it seems idea to make a image system (camera-lens and all related) to meet this specific need.

Give up the idea-belief a field foldable will be lower weight, more portable, easier to set up and more over a monorail, once into 8x10 zero is going to be all previously noted.

This is much about making it work, less about how to get there.
    Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by wallpaperviking View Post
    My apologies, I should have been more clear.

I am part of a Facebook group called Digital Camera Obscura and it is basically all about taking a digital image of the projection that is created from a Large Format lens (usually 8 x 10). For me, this is about the shallow DOF you get with such lenses and also the ability to be able to use movements.

I have been tinkering with my version of this for a while but have found it hard to focus, so am thinking that using the Ground Glass of an actual 8 x 10 camera would be ideal. To make this work, I would need to swap out the front lens board for a longer one (hence the question about asking about front fall) and have a secondary hole cut out that would allow the digital camera pointing back towards the Ground Glass. I would also need to have a different bellows made to accomodate this new standard. I would also need to load a dark slide with some paper/material that would show the projected image.

Thats about it really. The digital lens I will be using is a Fuji GFX 32-64mm and is a 77mm filter thread, so I think I need at least 100mm of space..

This may not be possible with a field camera but thought I would check.. I can make it work with a monorail as I can place the rear standard higher and therefore the front standard, to create enough room below.

Hope this makes sense! I know it is not a pure form of Large Format and for anybody who finds what I am doing silly, that is ok with me... Would still like your advice though

Thanks in advance!

If you are younger than 40, just do it all DIGI

There are no extra points for complexity.....ever

I am a novice at age 72, since I did not start LF until 11 years ago, I am both too late for LF AND too late for DIGI

The Image is the message, to paraphrase Marshall McLuhan

I just fiddle about
    Tin Can

Arca-Swiss

An Arca-Swiss 8x10 can do a huge fall assuming the lens has the image circle to accommodate such a movement. An indirect displacement, when the base of the camera is tilted forward and both standards are returned to the vertical, will increase the amount of fall available on any camera. Monorail cameras such as Arca-Swiss and Sinar, some others, may allow the most adjustment for This indirect displacement.
    The bellows flexibility is also a factor and the extension, determined by the focal length of the lens used, will give you an idea of the possibility.
    The reverse is also true in the case of extra rise being required for the image.
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

my sinar rises quite well and falls depending on your format.
    My experience has been I rise my front way more than drop it (fall). Because one would just rise the back up to get more front fall.

Also, you can drop the rail diagonally down to get more fall.

Drew Wiley

Front fall is just inverse to rear rise. You can use them in combination if needed. Later model Sinars had way more than I ever needed, even in architectural photography. I even cut off some of the length of my F2 support rods to facilitate better compactness during travel. My "newest" Sinar (actually, a good ole Norma) is just right in that respect; but it's not an
    8X10. The only 8x10 I have is a flatbed - still no problem - just diagonal the bed and bring both the front and rear to vertical, in such hypothetical extremes, which I never seem to encounter.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    If this is the goal, any 8x10 field camera will do. Simply take out the ground glass and install an 8"x10" 'lens board', replace the original lens board with a piece of white foam core, and shoot the camera backwards (film back facing the subject). The image will be projected onto an area the size of the original lens board. So something with a 6" square lens board should be workable, like Kodak 2D or B&J folding flatbed.